Thursday, June 21, 2007

This is the project I have chosen for the Tour de France kal. It is a pair of hiking socks for my husband. Connection, you ask? Well, mountains are for hiking and the race winds through the mountains, n'est pas? Peter Kevin doesn't want the snowflake pattern on the socks (snowflakes are not for hiking socks) so I chose a brown and white mixed wool/acrylic yarn. I think it will probably stripe. It's a little thicker than what I am used to for socks and I hope that the thickness makes the pattern go quicker. I even got new metal knitpick dpns. Yay! No more broken needles in the middle of a project. This is my first kal and I am excited.
At work things are crazy. Our departments are changing and I am juggling almost 100 clients (with treatment plans due every 4 months and phone calls and forms to fill out and services to find and.....) you get the picture. We had 2 doctors leave and two are out on paternity leave so that leaves 2 to cover everyone. There are 2 new psychiatrists starting in the next couple of weeks. While that is good, it means that my 3rd clinic will once again be open for business. I love my job and don't mind being busy but some days it is difficult to sit down and just breathe because everyone needs something at the same time. But then someone says "thank you. I really needed you and you were there" and somehow it is all right. I don't know what I pictured myself doing as a child but being a social worker wasn't it. I am glad stumbled into it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

100 clients. that's crazy. i don't know how you do it.

Kate said...

People wonder why I look up to you as much as I do. Yeah. 100 clients and you aren't a client yourself yet? That's why. You're so awesome.

<3

Anonymous said...

I stumbled into teaching. Stumbling is good.

Anonymous said...

I got your blog comment...thanks for the welcome to South Jersey. Or for me, more like a welcome back! I spent the first 20 years of my life there, and I cannot wait to be back. :)

How are you liking the Knitpicks DPNs?

roxie said...

I'm glad you're a social worker, too. There is such a crying need for competant people in your field. Blessings on you!!

Meg said...

I like your connection between the hiking socks and the mountains! I've been meaning to get some metal dpns as well.

Amy Lane said...

Oh, people really need you--that's nice. Sometimes stumbling into a job is just being openy to what destiny had in mind.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kate here, you're awesome. Your compassion and love for what you do are always apparent, and you care about your clients and their needs. That's rare to find in any industry, much less one like mental health. Thanks for being you.

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...