Thursday, August 9, 2007




Here is sock number one of the hourglass lace pattern from magknits. I finished it last night and immediately started number two. These are my socks, although Emily has already started hinting that "Katie has 2 pairs of hand knitted socks and I only have 1-you must love her more". After I agree that yes, I do love Katie more, I remind her that she could make herself a pair of socks. She is still working on a pair for a friend of hers who is stationed in Iraq. After I finish these, I have some nice soft yarn to make some socks for him to put into a care package. Those will take some time because he has big feet! I loved to watch him play soccer when he and Emily were in 8th grade together. He was graceful/gawky like a baby giraffe. All legs and height. Now he is still rather tall but that frame has some muscle and girth to it.

Did you ever sit in a meeting and have someone, say a supervisor, ask for a volunteer for something that was not particularly odious but you didn't want to do? And then you find yourself starting to think, I should go to this 2 day training on how to fill out Soc Sec Disability forms, even though I really don't want to and what can they possibly talk about for two whole days? Well, that happened to me today. Now, I like to go to some trainings because I get a day out of the office and often learn something new and interesting about my job. But, I have no desire to spend TWO WHOLE DAYS learning to fill out a form. That sounds about as interesting as, as, I can't even think of anything more boring. And yet, I found myself almost volunteering because NO ONE ELSE DID. That's right. My co-workers are all smarter than I am and kept their mouths shut and their eyes down. Why do I feel like I have to step in and do this? I have enough things to do without being the person who knows the forms. I have new interns coming in a month and they require frequent care in the beginning. I need strength to not feel guilty...

Otherwise things here are flowing along like honey in August. When the weather is this hot and humid, you just got to let things go and slow way down. Although, if I get any slower, I will be moving in reverse.

10 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

I have to do trainings on Maine Care Billing...lots and lots of good knitting time there. It's that or I have to pay attention. And we wouldn't want that, now would we? :) I'll be in two days you could almost finish some socks!

Donna Lee said...

I'd love to knit socks while the training is going on but I have a feeling that this is one of those "participatory" type trainings.

Olivia said...

Oh, I know, I hate it when that feeling comes on, that in spite of knowing better, something in you compels you to be the responsible one! It's a curse.

Denise said...

Ugh, yes, the old 'I suppose it wouldn't be *too* bad...' scenario, which you later regret. Is it a mum thing, being all responsible and self-sacrificing all the time? I have similar problems.

The sock looks great, very nice pattern :)

Bells said...

Lovely sock!

Ugh. I am so one of those people. I feel guilted into things. Yuck.

And two whole days on forms is bureaucracy gone mad.

Em said...

It's a sickness, nice lady, it really is. It's that old "nobody else is going to do it? fine! i'll step up and handle it and show these people how it's done!" mentality. I think we should come up with a clinical diagnosis, write a book, and become famous for it. I'll bet we'd get to talk to Oprah, and she gives out nice goodies!

Anonymous said...

You are a mom. That's why you stepped up with the "who-I-love-more" reply, and why you felt compelled to volunteer. It's a sickness. But it can be overcome. (With teenagers breathing down my neck to finish using the computer, I send empowering thoughts your way. . .)

Kate said...

Unfortunately, mom, it really is a sickness. I have it too sometimes. That's how I usually get cornered into staying late or doing three classes' worth of dishes for half an hour at work. *shrugs* It's a woman thing, I think. The men who do it would make good househusbands.

Amy Lane said...

ugh! I hate it when I end up doing something because no one else wants to...you sort of feel like, "Well--if no one else wants to, maybe it wasn't really that necessary, was it?"--But then, sitting and listening to other people talking is always a good time to knit.

MadMad said...

The socks are gorgeous - you are so fast!
I have the same problem with volunteering when no one else does. It totally stinks. If you ever figure out how to stay quiet let me know...

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...