Friday, September 21, 2007




Happy Friday! I got home from work early enough to sit outside and knit (and fall asleep!) in the beautiful afternoon warmth. I have finished the first Kaibashira sock made with the Starry Night colorway. It looks a little big to me but Elanor tried it one and likes the looser fit. It doesn't stretch much so maybe this is good. I am about 3 inches into number 2 so I can finish it before Julie's strikke-along starts. It's hard to tell if the colors come through in this photo but they range from a yellowish green to teal to grey and various shades in between. I can't wait to see what my other skein will look like. I hope it is close because I really love this.

My yarn for the strikke-along came and I am excited to begin. I am doing the Snowflake Sock pattern from IK's fall issue. I am using blue and white yarns and I have never done colorwork before so I am psyching myself up for this!

A while ago, Bells wanted to see photos of where everyone lived. I have never taken photos of my neighborhood because it is not very fascinating and very typical of developments from the 1950's in America. You can see the boxy style of the houses and the large trees surrounding them. We bought our house because it had a good sized yard for our kids to play in and they made
good use of it over the years. It is a quiet neighborhood which is in the process of "changing over". The children have grown and moved on and the parents are moving out and new young families are moving in to claim their own piece of the pie. Both the elementary and high schools are within walking distance which was always nice. The girls went to school with the kids in the neighborhood. I could always tell when the third graders got their flutophones (small plastic recorder-like flutes) because I could hear them playing them all the way home. The music dept. gave them out to gauge interest in instrumental music. The fourth graders get the chance to play real instruments. A good place, I think for children to grow up.
Well, it's time for the Friday night pizza/wings meal and everyone is hungry. After cleaning and laundry and such tomorrow, we are planning a drive through the woods and a picnic dinner at Batsto. I'll try to get some good shots of the beauty of the pinelands. In the meantime, have a good weekend, everyone!

12 comments:

amy said...

Happy Friday & good weekend to you, too! Your neighborhood does sound like a nice place for kids to grow up.

Rose Red said...

Thanks for sharing pics of your neighbourhood - always interesting to see where other people live! Hope you have a good weekend too!

Michele said...

i love neighbourhood shots. don't know what it is about them. it's just fun to see them.

hope you have a happy weekend.

Sheepish Annie said...

Ahhh...Friday! I do love the last day of the work week!

I also loved visiting your neighborhood. It's nice to be able to travel around and yet not have to get off the couch. :)

teabird said...

The sock is beautiful!

Bells said...

Donna you forget, we're not in America so 1950s American style development is something different for us to see. Thanks! It does look like a lovely, quiet neighbourhood.

Anonymous said...

I love neighbourhood shots too - your area seems peaceful. Happy weekend to you, too.

Em said...

I always thought it was a pretty good place to grow up. I had friends and a flutophone and a huge yard and lots of people my age around. What more could a kid ask for?

roxie said...

Idylic neighborhood. It sounds as if Donna Reed was your next door neighbor. I grew up on a ranch. Commonplace to you is exotic to me. Thanks for sharing!

Amy Lane said...

That's a really wonderful neighborhood...thanks so much for sharing...

Georgie said...

Looks like a fabulous neighbourhood and a great place to raise kids.

What a fabulous image...sitting outside enjoying the afternoon rays and dozing over your needles...hope you had a great weekend!

debsnm said...

I think you're going to find that colorwork is addictive! I have, at least. I can't wait to start, but don't have all my yarn yet - have to wait for payday, you know how that is! LOL

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...