Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Dinner, part 2. This year I am a little sad because my aunt who always joins us for holiday meals is not feeling well and is staying home. Her daughters are fixing her Thanksgiving dinner and will be there for her so she won't be alone but it will leave a hole at our table. I am particularly close to this aunt and it is hard to see her get old. In her place we will have Em's boyfriend, his sister and his mother. I like Jim and his sister Colleen. I don't know his mom well so this will give us an opportunity to remedy that. There will be 8 of us around our table, a bit of a tight squeeze but I prefer it that way. It makes us rub elbows with the people who are most important in our lives and remember that we are grateful for them even when they drive us crazy! Kate and I are going out to try to find some folding chairs that won't break the bank so we can comfortably accomodate everyone.

I have one last recipe for you. This is a recipe that I came up with many years ago. We only eat it with our Thanksgiving turkey and it is delicious.

Cornbread and Sausage stuffing
-1 13 x 9 inch pan of cornbread. Make your own or buy it store made. No matter.
-1 tube Bob Evans sausage. You can use any kind of breakfast sausage. If it's links, cut them open to cook the meat.
-1 large onion chopped
-2 stalks celery chopped
- chicken stock
1. Break cornbread up in a large bowl set aside.
2. Cook sausage in a frying pan with the celery and onion
3. Add meat mixture to cornbread and mix thoroughly. Add enough stock to make it moist.
4. Add parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.

This can be cooked inside the turkey or in a pan in the oven. I usually bake some inside the turkey and the rest in a serving dish for about an hour at 350 degrees.

Kate and I are shortly on our way out as soon as I wash the color that keeps me from looking 50 out of my hair. We all have our vanities.


And because I am trying to have a positve body image and have tried to raise my girls to be proud of their bodies, whatever the shape, here is the pinup photo I had taken for Peter Kevin. I don't look like this in real life. I look like the photo from the birthday post. This was a day for dress up. Someone else did the makeup and hair and posed me . I would have made a terrible model. I hate people messing with my hair. I have debated long and hard with myself on whether I had the guts to post this but somehow today I found the courage. So here I am as a pinup. It's hard to see but that's a garter I am holding in my left hand.

If you celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope you have a peaceful one filled with good food and good people. If you don't, have a lovely Thursday. And remember only one month till Christmas.

17 comments:

amy said...

We use folding chairs on Christmas Eve day. Actually, this year we're expecting so many I'm thinking a buffet might be the way to go.... however creative we need to get, there will be room for whoever wants to come.

That photo is a very nice gift. I don't think I could pull it off myself. What a lucky guy your husband is!

teabird said...

Ah, brave woman to give such a gift! I'm sure your husband will love it.
Happy turkey, happy family, happy everything to all!

roxie said...

What a fetching pin-up you are! Very, very pretty! (Sarah Bernhart, the most beautiful woman of her time, was five foot, two inches tall and weighed 150 lbs. Just because fashion changes, it doesn't mean that beauty does.)

Anonymous said...

Good for you!! And may you and yours also have a lovely Thanksgiving.

Sheepish Annie said...

That stuffing sound amazing!!!!! I don't make the stuffing for our dinner, sadly. I guess I'll have to make my own turkey sometime...

I love the picture! You are the essence of "pin up!" Those early pictures were of beautiful, shapely women. Not the sticks see today in magazines.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bezzie said...

Cute pictures! Target has cheapy folding chairs--I use them normally for my dinner table ;-)

And your stuffing recipe is almost exactly like mine but we put wild rice and mushrooms in there and not celery. It's my FAVORITE!

Rose Red said...

Yay you for posting your picture - it's fabulous!

Georgie said...

You make a great "pin-up", I love it!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone there!

TinkingBell said...

Great gift and you look wonderful!! How lovely to see a photo of someone who looks like a woman and not an anorexic skinned rabbit (ala Paris Hilton)! Great posting - Happy thanksgiving to you!

Em said...

I think it's a classy, lovely picture of you, with just a slight provocative edge. It suits you so well.

Mmmmm, stuffing. And fruit relish! Two of my favorites!

Olivia said...

Good onya for being brave, you're a gorgeous pin-up. Since you mentioned it I went back to the birthday picture, what I noticed was never mind the fancy makeup, you have really great skin!

Amy Lane said...

That is a WONDERFUL picture--you look very sweetalicious!!! I hope you and yours have a wonderful holliday--with all of those good recipes, it can't miss!

Donna said...

Well, I think you have given me the courage to post a pic of myself in my profile. You look terrific and you are so right about feeling good about ourselves. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and you go girl!

Anonymous said...

it's nice to see your pin up photo here. i'm with you though, i like the birthday picture better.

i do hope your aunt is feeling better soon. and that you have a lovely thanksgiving.

Dianne said...

Love the picture! You are one sassy lady!

Bells said...

Love the photo!!

I had to go and look up what a tube of sausage was. We don't have such things here. Intriguing!

Denise said...

I LOVE your photo - well done! I've also struggled to get the whole 'positive body image' thing going for myself (still not really going well), and have worked hard to raise my daughter to be better at it than I am (she is).

Thanksgiving was my favourite holiday when I lived in the States. Hope yours was peaceful :)

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...