Wednesday, January 9, 2008

As promised, here is the latest delivery from Roxanne at the Art Walk Sock Yarn club. It's from a painting by Leighton called "Flaming June". You can see the painting on the website.
I seriously love this yarn. It is superwash, bamboo and nylon. Soft and beautiful. I think it's my favorite one so far. Roxanne is amazing. She pulls colors out of the paintings and turns them into lucious yarns that beg to be knit up into gorgeous socks.
I am almost finished one sock of the Fools Rush pattern. It is so damn simple but I evidently cannot count to 5. Yep, the lace only involves 5 stitches and I managed to mess it up and had to rip it out several times. I have no idea what the problem was, but it seems to be fixed and I am getting ready to start the toe decreases. I want to make Peter Kevin another pair of socks. He wears the pair I made him during the Tour de France kal but only in the house. I want to make some socks he can wear to work but he tells me "they're special to me because you made them". What, they can't be special out of the house? I am glad he likes them, but it's kind of like having good china and never using it because "it's for special". Everyday should be special. Life is too short not to enjoy it. I use all my china and silver and "good" things. I can't see keeping them in boxes just to hand them down to someone else to keep them in boxes.
More and more people have thanked me for the positive email at work. I feel vindicated but will not do it again. What I will do is post the inspirations on my office door. I have done it before and no one said a word so I guess it's ok.
We are enjoying spectacular weather. It has been 60 degrees! In January! In the Northeast! I hear folks complaining and I must be getting old but I loved walking down the street without my jacket on. I know the cold is coming back and we have 2 and 1/2 months of winter left but I consider this a reprieve.
Smile, breathe and go slowly. Today's inspiration by Thich Nhat Hanh. Good advice.

11 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Crazy warm here, too! Figures. Just when I finish a pair of socks and fingerless mitts...

I used to feel like my handknit socks were too fine for everyday wear, too. But then I got over it! You're right. We deserve the finer things in our everyday lives!

Rose Red said...

That is a lovely coloured yarn - almost too pretty to knit!

Bezzie said...

Sometimes those simple simple stitch patterns are the ones that give me the most problems.

Man, I love that sock yarn club, it's such a cool idea and the yarns are beautiful!

Amy Lane said...

That's funny about how warm it is...it's been REALLY COLD here--I took the kids out for a walk and we never did get warm! Wow--such a gorgeous colorway...I'm knitting with this 'purple' Arucan right now...it;s completely mesmerizing when you look at it... LOVE pretty yarn.

Em said...

Mmmm, pretty yarn! Yarn good! I'm glad you shared your inspiration with others, you rebel! Don't let the man keep you down!

Alwen said...

Yeah, that's my philosophy, too: don't wait. Don't wait to say sorry, don't wait to say I love you, don't wait to say thanks.

And try to avoid having Dragon Treasure piled up that you just sprawl on top of and don't actually use.

Anonymous said...

I just love this idea of taking paintings and using them as inspiration for colourways. Fantastic and that one is beautiful!

Yes, socks should be worn. We can always make more!

roxie said...

Special things that are not used are sad and lonely. Wear that pretty lingerie, use the good china, and enjoy the heck out of them!

Gorgeous yarn! I dropped out of the club for financial reasons, and am regretting it.

teabird said...

This month's yarn is spectacular - I'm going to dive into it this weekend.
It sounds silly to say that good things should be saved, but I say it (to myself) every time I don't wear/use/eat something. It's the same problem I have with writing or (some) knitting! If not now, then when? Must it be perfect? Rationally, I know that it doesn't, but -

Olivia said...

I have to remind myself to use things up and not keep them for some unspecified time in the future. Getting much better at it. Life is happening right now. And warm weather sounds good - gee some people can complain about anything!

Michele said...

oh post on your door - good solution.

i think it's so nice you are going to knit your husband more socks. my mom told me that my grandmother knit every pair of my grandfather's socks - he never wore store bought socks again after he met my grandmother. but i think they were mostly black or grey, not fun colors.

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...