Monday, March 3, 2008



The last few days have brought some knitting goodies into our house. I won a prize in Nancy's contest over at Days Go By. She sent me a package that had this wonderful sticker in it. It's probably a dragon but we here in the Garden State know it's really the Jersey Devil (it says "Ever wonder why some yarns are flame retardant?"). There were some seasonally appropriate stitch markers. I only have plastic ones so these are my first fancy ones and I love them. Oh, and some yarn. Isn't it beautiful? The colors remind me of the ocean as it's supposed to look. You know, how it looks in the Carribean? Thanks, Nancy. You give good prizes.



Over the weekend, Em took Peter Kevin and I to lunch for his birthday. We had some delicious Chinese food and then Kate, Em and I went to Woolbearers. I bought some sock yarn for me. It's their own yarn and the colorway is mahogany.


Kate and Emily bought some roving to use with their spindles. (edited to add: Emily bought two bags of undyed merino roving and gave one to me). When we got home, Kate was showing me how she spins with the spindle. I felt an intense desire to try it, too. So, what to do? I went to Peter Kevin, showed him Kate's spindle and said "Can you make me one of these?" And he did. This is my spindle made from parts from the hobby store. Kate gave me some roving from the bump I gave her for Christmas and this is my first yarn. It is uneven and I am not used to the rhythmn of the process yet but it's fun. I look forward to someday owning a wheel but for now, this is entertaining. I can picture groups of women sitting around talking while the children play, spinning the spindles to make the yarn to make the clothing. I feel like part of a tradition. It feels good.
And I bought some blocking wires. The shawl is in the last stages. I have some of the white to finish in the middle and then I want to put the edging on the top to finish it off more neatly. I am so excited to finish it. PK bought the wood and the brads to build the blocking frame. Although I might have to wait a while since he just got a work bonus and used it to upgrade his computer. I guess he should get the chance to play with his toys, too.

13 comments:

Amy Lane said...

Doesn't it feel like we should have some sort of knitters box for things like 'first yarn' and 'first misshapen sock'? That is some fine yarn--and a great prize! (You and your girls have the most charming adventures!)

amy said...

What a full post! Enjoy that gorgeous yarn. You're right, the blue is like a warm, welcoming ocean.

Bezzie said...

Hm, a Jersey Devil is described as a flying biped with hooves. Sounds like a certain attorney I know. ;-)

Beautiful yarn!

And now I'm bummed my name isn't "Amy" as I'm breaking the streak.

Em said...

Saturday was great fun, and I notice you didn't mention the roving I handed off to you, as well. That's okay, I'll mention it for you. The double date with you and dad was fabulous, and Woolbearers is pretty awesome, I think I'll have to stop home and visit more often on my Saturdays off.

Rose Red said...

Love both of those yarns and that PK, he is a clever clogs!

Sheepish Annie said...

That's a great looking spindle! The yarn is pretty darned good too. Nice job!

Bells said...

Oh what a good husband he is. I'm sure I've said that before. He's a good sort.

And gorgeous yarns. I want to be on a yarn diet and then I see such temptations and I want more.

Denise said...

Oooh what a lot of luscious goodies! Those are brilliant stitch markers :D

MadMad said...

What a great haul! And I love the yarn you bought, too - such pretty colors.

Nancy @ the Jersey Shore said...

Glad you liked your prize. :-) You will have to tell me about your blocking with the wires!

Michele said...

oh spindling is so much fun. i wish i used mine more - but time! glad you are enjoying yours!

roxie said...

What bounty! Such a splendid haul! And your own spindle? Ohhh, good luck!

TinkingBell said...

How cool!! Love the spindle and lucky you for the prizes - well done - I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...