Sunday, November 1, 2009



This is my favorite Hallowe'en photo!  I bought a lot of candy (and only things we like) hoping we'd have a lot of kids come to the door.  13.  Yep.  Only 13 kids came.  So, I have a rather large amount of mini chocolate bars left.  I'm surprisingly ok with that.

(Apollogies for the dark photos.  It was another grey, cloudy, rainy day)


We went to my brother's and had a delicious dinner of chili and mac and cheese.  And the brown bread.  It was completely eaten up!  Good thing I left some at home.  I will say that I'm not a huge fan of the stuff.  I think it's neat that it's baked in cans and I will start saving cans to make some at Christmas time but eh. I think the recipe needs salt and when I make it again, I'll add some salt.  I think bread cries out for a dash of salt and this recipe doesn't have any.  Here's the bread still in the can. 
And here's the loaves out of the cans.  The squat ones were baked in Progresso soup cans.  Those are harder to work with since they are pop top cans and have a lip at the top.  The tomato cans worked the best. 
Boston Brown Bread

makes 5-6 loaves depending on cans.  Roxie tried to bake this in loaf pans and it didn't work out.  You could probably make it in muffin tins but I think part of the appeal is the little roundness of it

6 cans (14.5 ounce size) clean and sprayed with cooking spray
1 large box of raisins
2 tsp baking soda
2 tblsp butter
2 c boiling water

2 eggs
2 c sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
4 c flour

Mix first 4 ingredients together and let sit for an hour or until raisins are plump.

Add the rest of the ingredients and mix by hand.  Fill cans about 1/2 way full (they will overflow if you fill them much more than that).  Bake at 350 degrees (F) for about 55 - 60 mins.

This is really an easy recipe with ingredients that we usually have on hand. Except the cans.  I don't buy much in cans, except diced tomatoes and the occasional can of soup.


And before I go, here's a photo of the tree.  As you can see, it has lost a lot of its leaves and is looking rather bedraggled.  The rainy, windy weather finally caught up with it. 
It's raining today.  I thought it was supposed to be a nice weekend but I must have been looking at someone else's forecast.  Kate and Patrick are once again on their way to the Ren Faire.   They got rained out two weeks ago and have been really looking forward to this.  Pk and I are going to the bakery to get some of the world's best creme donuts and then to the yarn store.  I only have socks on the needles and would like to start some lace. 

You can already see the difference in the intensity of the light from the return to EST.  It'll take me all week to readjust.......

7 comments:

Bezzie said...

YOu can use jars too.....if you don't overfill them and attempt to bake them in your crock pot. eep!

Bells said...

I once left salt out of homemade bread and I thought it was foul! Definitely need the salt but what a damn cool idea!

Jeanne said...

The bread looks really good - thanks for sharing the recipe!

Rose Red said...

I wondered if it was really bread, or if it was more of a cake - from the ingredients, sounds like what we would call a cake. Or a date loaf (except with raisins instead of dates) - which are traditionally baked in cans like this. Either way, yum!!

Oh, and all that chocolate left over. What a shame! (not!)

Galad said...

Enjoy the left over chocolate. I didn't even buy any for home as we haven't had any kids come by in years.

May have to try the bread recipe but definitely will add salt.

roxie said...

I think I'll try to find a way to get some molassas into that recipe. And salt- yes!

Bummer about all that left-over chocolate. You could take it to work I guess. Everyone else does!

And mega-bummer about the laptop! Hope you rescue those patterns and things. I don't suppose PK would consider giving you a temporary battery transplant for long enough to get things backed up?

Dianne said...

That bread looks interesting, and lots of fun to make. I think I'll start saving cans, too. Bummer about the laptop.

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...