Thursday, March 3, 2011

March is such a heartbreaker of a month around here.  There are days when it's obvious that Spring is coming.  The sun shines hard and warm and you can take off your mittens and expose more skin to the Vitamin D. 

We had one of those days yesterday.  The air was softer than it had been and it just felt nice to be outdoors.  I went bowlling with one of our groups and decided to take the bus back and walk 8 blocks instead of taking the subway and wasting the sunshine underground.

Today, not so much.  Today, the wind is biting any exposed flesh and the temps are below freezing.  Despite my wool socks, my toes are cold.  My nose is red and running from the frigid air.  And we have a 2 hour mandatory "compliance" training today.  This does not bode well for the day.

Peter Kevin is feeling optimistic. He bought 4 packets of seeds for Wildflowers.  We have a patch in the back that doesn't grow grass well and is not good for much else so we spread some mulch and then the seeds and let it do its own thing in its own time.  Some years, we've had great results and have a bed full of lovely colors.  Some years the birds get to the seeds first.

I have found that I am not picking up the needles at night.  After the marathon sessions to finish the In Dreams shawl in time for the next clue (due tomorrow), I have no real desire to knit.  That and I'm just tired at the end of the day.  I did work on my current travelling sock at the bowling alley yesterday (all the while listening to people tell me "I don't have the patience for that") but that's about it.    I am almost ashamed to admit that while browsing Netflix, I "discovered" 3rd Rock From The Sun and have been watching it and laughing out loud.  It's silly and the acting is hammy and very campy but it seems to be what my brain/psyche needs right now.  I like how it pokes not-so-gentle fun at our foibles.  And I really like John Lithgow.  He is such a talented man.

I was riding on the train this morning (alone since Pk is in class on Tues and Thurs and works from home).  There were two young men who were talking loudly,  seemingly obvlivious to the people around them, about 'warrants' and how good it felt not to be under one. Now, the train stops at City Hall in Camden where the courthouse is and where people with outstanding warrants go (and where we go for jury duty), so it's possible that they were on their way to a court hearing.  It just struck me how different their lives were from mine.  We all have worries and problems but sometimes they're miles apart. 

And just because I found this a good thought for the day, I'll share it with you.

" Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive."

~His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Once again, he hits the nail squarely on the head.
Have a good one.

5 comments:

amy said...

It was so windy here yesterday, our 40 degrees felt much colder. And today it IS much colder. In like a lion, you know. ;) The problem is when March doesn't play by the rules and goes OUT like a lion too!!

roxie said...

I love 3rd rock! Have you seen the episodes with Bill Shatner yet? I nearly wet myself, I laughed so hard. Superb ensemble comedy!

It's wonderful how warm fourty degrees feels after a spell of below freezing?

Saren Johnson said...

Yes, love the warm 60 (I know we're not there yet) degrees coming out of winter, verses the freezing 60 degrees of fall.

The Reelz channel is running 3rd Rock and I've caught a couple. I'd forgotten how funny and talented the crew can be.

Bells said...

i love the whole letting seeds go and seeing what nature does with them thing. It can be so fascinating!

Chrisqowf said...

Have Trial Fest 2 Are you ready for the ride of your life? Stunt Dirt Bike : Say hello to mother nature by cranking through some lumber piles. Can you imagine yourself flying through the air at extreme speeds? Play Dirt Bike Games and the best Racing Games for players of all Games Motorbike Dirt Bike Monster Truck Car Parking Girl Games in Bikegames5Moto Trial Fest 2 Are you ready for the ride of your life? Enjoy free dirt bike games such as Max Dirt Bike and other fun bike jumping games the most thrilling dirt bike games online free. You want Free Online Word Games. Gain access to exclusive games, win Awards, and receive free Miniclip Credits every week! Play free online sports games, arcade games, card games, and puzzle free full games online and download full version games for your pc. Play over 1000 free racing games online, including car games, bike games, parking games and more on! Choose from thousands of free games, RPG games, shooting games, puzzle games, action Play free online games, action games, fighting games, puzzle games, racing games, retro games, room escape games, shooting games, sports gamesPlay the most fun games and free online games including funny games, arcade games, dress up games, shooting games, sports games and much more with new fun games Best Free online hacked games you can find around for boys, girls and just about every tially a scaled-down motocross bike with an electric motor, the Razor MX500 Dirt Rocket is ideal for teens who want to enjoy the dirt bike experience without. Cooking Games OnlinePlay over 1000 free racing games online, including car games, bike games, parking games and more on! Free Members get unlimited play and much games are added everyday, with over 2000 free games with categories such as fighting games, racing games, dressup games and shooting games! Permainan online Jeux fr jeux en ligne spiele spielen Free Online Games Games Games. Total Games: 3424 Played Today: 1 Overall Played: 159 Total Members: 8 Newest Member: Jeffrey200 Total Users Online: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)Blood Games Site for everyone to play, especially for boys and people who are energetic with strong and violent characteristic. Come play now for free! Play Sports Games at 1001 Online Games! Play Dirt Bike 2 online flash games, Ride your dirt bike through a challenging rocky terrain in this highly addictive sequel of the extremely popular game Dirt free online games @ 1001 Online Games. has car Games, bike games, parking games and many more racing dirt bike1 2, free online games, flash games, free flash games, online games, play gameAndkon Arcade: 1000+ free flash games, updated weekly, and no popups! Click here to play addicting dirt bike games and motorbike games FREE on Triple Double Games portal.

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...