Tuesday, November 6, 2012


It's election day here in the US.  I have followed some of this election but I'll admit, I am not a big fan of politics.  We watched the first two debates and skipped the third.  I already knew who I was going to vote for and couldn't stand watching two grown men refuse to answer questions in a meaningful way.  They are tap dancers of the highest caliber.  We didnt leave the house early enough to vote this morning so we'll vote this afternoon after work.

This was the inspirational quote of the day:

"Many people think excitement is happiness.... But when you are excited you are not peaceful. True happiness is based on peace."
~Thich Nhat Hanh

This is one of those things that I think I knew instinctually but didn't know I knew.  Does that make sense?  Let me explain.

Sunday was my birthday and Pk took me to brunch at one of our favorite places.  The girls and their significant others came as well.  We were a party of 7 sitting around a table eating and talking and laughing.  It was about perfect. 

I looked around at the faces I love so dearly and realized that I was full of joy.  I felt happy and my heart was peaceful.  Not excited and jumping up and down in my seat but happy down to the bottom of my heart and soul.  To me, that is true happiness. I feel happy quite a bit of the time but it doesn't hurt to stop for a moment and appreciate the happiness in a moment. 

We walked around in the brief sunshine.  Since it was Hallowe'en season, they had a Zombie Walk and there were some folks dressed as zombies walking around.  There were vendors selling all kind of things.  I bought a tshirt with a Tardis on it and Pk got a shirt with a robot.  We bought some Cranberry Honey (my favorite) and a pin for Pk that said "I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar" (from Serenity).  It was a lovely day.  We came home to dinner in the crockpot and an Orange Creamsicle cake.  Yummy.

Last night was our Hallowe'en celebration.  We went to my brother's house and had dinner and the Candy Swap.  Pk gets all into this and tries to make the most outrageous swaps.  (He tries to make sure the kids all come out on the winning end as he bargains for candy bars that I like).  We got home at 9:30 and just about passed out.  We were so tired.  Must be the change in time because we didn't do anything to be that tired.  And despite sleeping well last night, I'm sleepy this morning. 

Today is cold.  It was freezing (literally, it was 32 degrees F this morning) but it's not dark as we leave the house which makes it a bit easier to go to work.  I couldn't find my mittens and I think a new pair might be in order since the pink/brown ones I made are just too big.  I'm going to wash them and throw them in the dryer and see what happens. 

It's hard to believe that in 2 weeks, it will be Thanksgiving here.  We'll be heading off to Emily's house as she wants to host this year.  Once again, it crept up on me while I was off not paying attention. 

And tomorrow there is a storm brewing off the coast that could turn nasty as it moves northward.  A Nor'easter which traditionally brings wind and rain.  Hooray! Wind !  Rain!!  Again! 

and just when things were drying out.....

3 comments:

Helen said...

that quote is just perfect Donna Lee. When I was younger I thought I had to be ecstatic to be happy. Those words just resonate with me so much. Thank you.

Happy birthday!! You can't ask for more on your birthday than to feel still, quiet happiness.

DrK said...

happy birthday wonderful fellow scorpio. its true i am always most happy when things are peaceful and im surrounded by people i love. usually theres knitting involved :)

Anonymous said...

This definition of happiness resonates with me too. Similarly, happiness is in the little, often everyday things.

Our politicians are similar - pettiness and inability to answer any questions which don't suit their message. Ugh.

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...