Monday, November 11, 2013

 
 If you can stand one more photo of fall foliage, this is the tree outside our bedroom window.  I woke up Saturday morning and the bedroom was suffused with an orange glow.  The sun had just made it over the top of the house and hit this tree.  It reflected all that orange out into the air.  It was glorious.  We have been really blessed this year in terms of fall color.  It seems like everywhere we go, there is a tree that is showing off.

After two major storms in two years (although nothing to rival what went on in the Philipines last week.  Those poor folks are devastated), this is our first real Fall in a while.

When we went to Rhinebeck we bought some souvenirs since it was our first time.  I bought a t shirt with this year's logo on it.  I followed the washing instructions and this is what it looks like today.  You can just see the word Festival in yellow.  The rest is supposed to be a Jacob Sheep but you'd be hard pressed to know that.

The thing that bothers me is that this was not a cheap shirt.  It should have lasted beyone 2 washings.  I'm trying to decide whether to email them with a photo and express my disappointment. 



This is one of the things I was working on this weekend.  I bought this colorful yarn at Rhinebeck and needed a pattern to show it off but not overwhelm the colors.  I chose Monkey Socks.  For some reason, the more colorful the yarn, the better this pattern looks.  I am in love with all the cheerfulness.

And there was bread.  PK left a container of dried fruit on the counter and it made my fingers itch to be in some dough so I experimented and came up with Orange Cinnamon Fruit bread.  I just added some grated orange peel and dried fruits to a basic rich bread dough.  It was delicious.  I love it when an experiment works out. 

And last but not least, this was actually finished last weekend.  It's one skein of Gotland that I got for Christmas last year.  It has a nice halo but is not too hairy.  It's the wool they made the Elven cloaks out of in the LOTR series.  I have another skein I'm working on and then some Icelandic and some alpaca in complimentary grey colors.  I want to turn them into a shawl in shades of grey.  I might look for one darker color to add to the mix just for contrast.

Otherwise, things have been quiet around here.  I didn't leave the house all weekend.  Pk had some plans but they fell through which was just as well since he got to watch his soccer games.

And lest we forget, today is Veteran's Day here.  We don't honor the men and women who were members of our armed forces nearly enough. 

Today we try to make up for that. And in their honor, I leave you with this:

In Flanders Field


In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.


John McCrae

 



5 comments:

Galad said...

What a wonderful way to wake up - bathed in orange light. The tree is wonderful. Yes, I would send a picture and let them know about the shirt. Otherwise how will they ever know if there is a manufacturer problem?

The bread looks so yummy. I hardly ever bake anymore but do love quick breads around the holidays.

roxie said...

AS for the t-shirt, by all means, send photo and complaint. How will they know things went wrong if no one tells them.? Assume that the producers want to give you a good product and have somehow missed the mark.

Waking in a wash of orange light - how glorious!

Love the monkey socks and oh, that Gotland wool is lovely. What a splendid shawl that will make!

Saren Johnson said...

Yes, the fall colors are amazing. Most of our trees are now bare, it was pretty while it lasted.

Bezzie said...

Agreed let them know what happened so at the very least they know not to go thru that vendor/production company that made the shirts next time.

I'm bummed I didn't get to go to Rhinebeck this year. I had wanted to...alas, the broken armed child did me in. I love your haul!

DrK said...

gorgeous tree, amazing colours. and i bet that bread smelled fantastic. i would definitely say something about that tshirt. i dont knit with variegated yarn much anymore but when i do its always monkeys, it really does work. it was remembrance day here on the 11th, it was interesting this year, after all the research i've been doing, to see how many people we dont remember, how quickly we do forget.

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...