Friday, June 29, 2007

I just published a post that I thought was on this blog but found out I posted it onto the Art Yarn Sock Walk Blog by accident. I am laughing at myself because after three years of knitting I discovered I KNIT WRONG. That's right, I am knitting wrong. I am a self taught knitter using books and internet sources. Well, I was trying the monkey sock and one of the rows had the notation "ktbl". I thought, hmmm, I always knit through the back loop so what's up with that? Well, I looked it up and learned I should be knitting through the front loop. So, I started the sock again and it is taking longer because I have to pay more attention to what I am doing. Does anyone know if there is a real difference? My knitting looks like everyone else's. Since I taught two of my three daughters to knit, I had to tell them they are knitting wrong as well. They don't seem to care and will probably continue on as usual, tkbl all the way.

8 comments:

teabird said...

Hi, Donna - I saw your post on the sock yarn site (I can-not-WAIT to see the first yarn!) and answered it over there --

cheers!

melanie
a/k/a/ teabird

Susan Pandorf said...

All it does is twist the stitch at the base. Makes it a little tighter (that's why Cookie used it on the picked up stitches along the heel on Monkey - no holes.)

Which brings up an interesting question: Would you rather have a tight monkey (who's been hanging out at the monkey bars too long) or a monkey on the loose? (Lord knows what kind of trouble they'd get into!)

Blessings!

teabird said...

Or worse, a monkey on your back!! (Which is how knitting becomes, right? An absolute addiction...)

Anonymous said...

that's correct - knitting through the back twists the stitch at the base if the first leg of the stitch is in front of the needle before you knit into it.

many people from germany knit this way. it's not "wrong". just gives a tighter stitch.

if you're completing a large project though or doing hours and hours of knitting you may want to reconsider working this way as some people have mentioned that knitting this way for extended hours can lead to muscle strain.

for more on the mechanics of knitting and things like the legs of the stitch i recommend the book Knitting for Anarchists by Anna Zilboorg (published 2002). great information in this book.

Bells said...

a woman I work with knits this way. I was flabbergasted when i saw how painstakingly slow she was (even for a beginner). Her knitting looks fine but the muscle strain someone else mentioned would be enough to make me rethink my knitting technique!

Can we have a progress shot of your monkeys???

Kate said...

Well, as long as ktbl all the time isn't some sort of knitting sin, it's the way I learned and probably the way I'll continue knitting. Go knitting anarchy!

Anonymous said...

Right, wrong - no worries, as long as you enjoy knitting. Myself, I knit "right" and crochet "wrong", but I'm having fun! How's the Monkey sock coming? Love that pattern - it's almost addictive.

Anonymous said...

I'm all in favor of continuing to knit the way you taught us, as it took me long enough to be able to understand how to work with two needles instead of one hook. I'm so glad my socks aren't the socks from hell! *sings* mine aren't the worst you've done, mine aren't the worst you've done!*

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...