Tuesday, July 10, 2007





This is my cat Hobbes showing his disdain for my knitting endeavor. I am 1 inch away from finishing the cuff of sock number one of my hiking socks. The yarn band says it is "fine" but I think it is rather thick. This could be because I have been knitting with sock yarn for months now and anything would feel thick! It is yarnart brand , crazy color #102. It is a mixture of brown, beige and ivory. Since Peter Kevin didn't want snowflakes on his socks (as per the pattern), I tried to get a thicker yarn that would make them interesting but still "manly". They are knitting up fairly quickly and I love the way they feel. They are a bit hard to work with and I am glad for my knitpicks needles. I just know I would have used a forest worth of bamboo needles by now.

I have been trying to describe what a kal is to the folks at work who see my ziplock bag of yarn in my work bag and want to see "what's new". I think they all think I am a bit eccentric, well, maybe A LOT eccentric but that's ok. No one on the train has said anything for a while although I can see them looking out of the corner of my eye. Maybe I should get a button that says "ask me about my knitting!"

In my own personal tdf (tour de france), I am still on the straightaway--curves and heels coming up. Stay tuned!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

the sock looks really lovely. and very 'manly'.

you should totally get a button that says ask me about my knitting. or come to canada. the last time i took my knitting into the bar (well really it was a lounge) the bartender (who could't have been a day over 22) was all over the subject of knitting. he had a million questions.

Taphophile said...

Love the colours in the new sock - perfect for a hiking sock.

Amazing no-one's said anything on the train. The button sounds like a great idea.

Bezzie said...

I've seen knitters on the train (the handful of times I've ridden), but I'm staring because I'm studying their technique. ;-)

roxie said...

I always heard that on the East coast, you never make eye-contact or speak to other people on public transportation because some of them are violent crazy. (That rule doesn't seem to apply here on the left coast. We B.S. with total strangers all the time.) Maybe people are worried you might turn on them with the pointy sticks if they attract your attention. and the button might make them afraid you are trying to evangelize or sell them something. Maybe a button that says, "It's ok to ask me about my knitting." would be more encouraging. (grin)

MadMad said...

Love the sock colors - those are MANLY, darn it; he's right! Who needs snowflakes?

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think the snowflakes would've been a great touch. It's never too late for sparkly appliques! I'm surprised more people don't ask you about knitting, you exude "i'm not an axe-murdering psychopath, and i'd love to chat" vibes. Those are apparently hereditary, as both Kate and I have inherited them. Bravo on the sock progress! You're putting me to shame.

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of a button! I've been asked a few times what I'm "yarning" when knitting in public.
Great color choice for the socks!

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...