Wednesday, July 25, 2007




This was waiting for me when I got home from work today. Well, actually, it was in an envelope but I forgot to photograph it before opening it and the good stuff was all inside anyway. It is my prize from the drawing on the first rest day of the Tdf kal. There is some very soft white yarn for some socks for me (yay) and some point protectors shaped like little yellow socks. These are very cute and will come in handy when using the knitpicks dpns (the yarn tends to slip off of them when I put them down). Thank you Meg and Debbie! I have to finish thesefirst. They are the monkey socks for Kate that I put down to take part in the tdf kal. I have one more repeat of the pattern and then the toe decreases. That shouldn't take too long, (I hope!). After they are done, I can start a pair of socks for me. Maybe the waving laces pattern (from 25 favorite socks), I really like the way it came out the first time I tried it.

In other knitting news, Olivia and I are involved in a swap and let me tell you how hard it is to find yarn that is local to New Jersey. I finally found some lovely yarn but it is from Pennsylvania. Since it is within a day's drive, I figure it qualifies as local. My family is having a good time suggesting local items to put into the box. Unfortunately, it is high summer here and I have to be careful not to put anything meltable in there. Sending yarn to Australia seems a little strange, 'cause don't you all have lots of sheeps there? Anyway, I am waiting for my order to arrive and then I will pack it up and ship it out. I love sending packages. It feels like Christmas.

6 comments:

Bells said...

he he. I knew you were doing a swap with Olivia. We chatted about this over coffee last week! I'm sure it'll be fun.

Last time I did a 'local' swap, I just bought Australian wool. Canberra doesn't do a lot of local wool, unless you count the stuff my friends here dye themselves.

Your monkeys are so lovely!

Sheepish Annie said...

Nice goodie bag that landed on your doorstep! I do love it when the nice things come in the mail...they hide the bills! And your Monkeys came out great. Nice job!

Denise said...

Ooh, I'll get to see what you send to Olivia in person if she brings it to SnB for show and tell :) I love sending and receiving packages and REAL letters in the mail too.

The sock shaped point protectors are not easy to get here in Oz, so they might be a nice package inclusion?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you like your package! White wool is pretty versatile and you can dye it if you like too. Chausettes jaune are your yellow socks (I couldn't find a yellow jersey!).

I have a friend in Australia who looks for Australian wool but there is so little of it! I think that despite all their sheep, the fleeces are sent to Italy for processing. Heirloom yarns might be one brand but I'm not sure.

Amy Lane said...

I love me a good yarn swap!!! And those monkey socks are gorgeous!!! I love that flaming orange yellow--it looks like something that you'd whip out in the middle of winter to cheer yourself up!!!

Olivia said...

Not sure if I should chime in here.. (It's exciting!) I'm sorry, it looks like you'll be sending your parcel before me (about to go skiing for a week, yes it's a hard life). But I am having fun planning your parcel! And don't worry too much, almost anything in your LYS would potentially be something I don't see in mine!

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...