Thursday, August 16, 2007








I started the socks with the Art Walk Sock Yarn and I am loving it. The yarn is wool/bamboo/nylon and has a slight tendency to make fuzzies. I am getting used to that. I tried to take some photos but was very disappointed by the quality. Then I started to play with the settings and guess what? I found the "close up" setting. Now, I have owned the camera for almost a year and have never used this setting (didn't even know it was there). The result is that now I can take photos like this and actually show the stitches and not have them be blurry. Woot! The socks are really pretty in this pattern and there has already been some "discussion" as to who gets them.


I also made a sock blocker. I am so impressed with myself. I found the instructions in my SnB calendar for Tuesday Aug 14. I was home sick and had some time for playing around. It worked really well.



Unfortunately, unless you look really close, you cannot see the coat hanger I used for this arts and crafts project. You can see the scotch tape I used to hold the edges together after I cut off the curvy hanger bit. Peter Kevin assures me he can fix that with something so that it holds together better. I took this photo and the one above outside on my front step. You can see the lovely cement there in the photo. What you cannot see is the nest of Cicada Killer Wasps that is under the steps. Now, I am an allergic person and try to avoid stinging insects but I wanted to get a photo of the color of the socks in "natural light" to show how beautifully the charcoal color spirals around the red/pink colors . So, I went out front, quickly snapped the photos and ran back into the house. We have never had these wasps before and didn't know what they were. They are BIG suckers, bigger than my pinky and ugly as all get out. We tried the natural insecticide recommended by some university (oil and vinegar poured onto and around the holes they make) and it seems to be working but I still am wary of being out there. And the front of our house smells like salad....

8 comments:

Bezzie said...

Wow! You are dedicated! Sacraficing your health to take pictures of socks for us! I know these wasps you speak of and they are nasty!

Olivia said...

Mmmm, salad. I guess there are worse smells!

Nice work with the sock blockers.

MadMad said...

The color on those new socks is awesome - very cool! Show us your blockers (look at you, being all CRAFTY!!!) when you get a chance; I'd love to see them.

Denise said...

Congratulations on finding the close up mode - nice pic, and delightful socks! And ugh to the wasps - hate them.

Bells said...

You know that monkeys are close to my heart. I love to see how others are working on them when I'm not. Yours look beautiful!

Amy Lane said...

Ooooh...pretty sock--it's a good thing you got it inside, quickly, because the wasps would have tried to eat it! (I'm being facetious--but it does look like a very bold flower!) We had to 'Raid' a couple of nests this year--not very environmentally friendly, but the second time the cave troll got stung, we threw conscience to the four winds...

Em said...

I, personally, would have been happy to see some flamethrowers, maybe a little napalm, something really serious, anyway, being used on those creatures. Not that I have anything against large, ugly, winged, stinging insects who could potentially cause me (and you)to swell up and die... Wait, that's it, I do.

The socks are awesome, and you know, I only have one pair...

roxie said...

Oh you virtuous woman! I'm still meditating on my yarn and considering what it wants to be. Your socks are splendid!

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...