Tuesday, January 15, 2008

On Saturday we traveled to see Emily's new home in Royersford, Pennsylvania. It's about an hour from our house, or longer if I drive. I tend to drive the speed limit. I promised Em I would not post photos of her house, she wants to do that, and so here is a photo of the lunch she made us. It's one of my favorites and very easy, cream of potato soup. She also made grilled cheese sandwiches and brownies. Sorry, no brownie photos, they were eaten too quickly. The house is really nice and I must admit, it makes me rest easier knowing they are in a good neighborhood. It was lovely seeing her in her own kitchen, preparing the food and serving us. It made me realize how lucky I am to have such a lovely confident daughter. This is Em at her stove. "Mom, why are you taking a picture of me cooking?" She should know that it's all good blog fodder!

I tried to take a good photo of the Fools Rush sock but it was difficult to get one that shows the pattern and the color bits in the yarn. This is the best I could do. I really like the pattern once I learned to count to 5!



On Sunday, we put the Christmas things away, finally. This is what the living room floor looked like when we took the tree out. There were more needles on the floor than were left on the tree.





It took quite a while for me to vacuum them all out of the rug. I know I will be finding them for the next three months. We left up the snowflake lights in the front window. After all, snowflakes are not strictly Christmas decorations. One could make a case for them being "winter" decorations. I am a huge fan of decorative lights and I will leave the snowflakes up until Spring and then replace them with some brightly colored lights to celebrate the flowers coming up. One can never have too many lights.
And speaking of flowers, I was surprised to see that some of the bulbs in the garden (the ones the squirrels haven't feasted on) are almost an inch above the ground. We have had an exceptionally mild winter but it is getting cold now and I am afraid that the blossoms will die before they are really born and we won't have flowers in the spring. I guess that will give me the excuse (as if anyone needs an excuse) to buy more flowers and bulbs. We may even get some snow this winter. Don't laugh! Miracles happen every day.

13 comments:

amy said...

I like that yarn quite a bit. And how much fun to set up a first house. I moved into my first by-myself apartment right before my senior year of college, and I loved it. It was freezing cold in winter, although the heating bill was sky-high, and it was very close to a sketchy part of the city, but I fixed it up and it was cute and homey and all mine. Good luck to Em in her new house!

Rose Red said...

We've left our "christmas" lights up too - I think they are just nice decorative lights for our deck!

Alwen said...

I had tulip leaves up, too, until the latest little snow covered them!

Usually I don't buy them, but my SIL gave these to me, so I planted them and forgot them. Snow-covered is better than uncovered and freezing in the 17-degree overnight low!

Bezzie said...

Mmm...that cream of potato soup is making me hungry!

Olivia said...

Oh yes, I loved that independence of moving out of home, even though I have always been close to my family. Hope Em is enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

Oh good for Em! Nice to see her too! There is nothing quite like getting your own place - and also having it so that your parents can come and see how happy you are.

SwissKnits! said...

Royersford?????!?!?!?!?!

My parents live right next door on Rt 113 in Phoenixville!!! OMGoodness!!!! Infact when there I shop at the Giant in Royersford.
Have you been to the King of Prussia Mall yet? :)

Sorry, but when these "small world" moments come up I get darned excited...

Amy Lane said...

Give my best to Em--you ARE lucky--she's gorgeous, confident, and amazingly sweet! (She comments on my blog a lot...she's just as nice as her mum!) And the Christmas Tree is cracking me up--when my house was bigger (or, wait, there were less people in it...) that was me, leaving the tree up as long as possible:-)

roxie said...

What a beauty she is, inside and out. (I'm so jealous of that red hair.) One of the marks of an excellent job of parenting is the ease and graciousness with which the kids leave home. Bravo to you!

MadMad said...

Oh, good for Em! That must be so exciting! (And I'm glad it's not too scary for you, either!)

Michele said...

ah the first home away from home - big moment. and what a lovely mother you are to visit. nice photos, of your daughter and the sock.

Em said...

Thanks for picking the picture where I'm making such a lovely face, Momolla! And thanks to everyone for their good wishes, the new house is great. Oh, swissknits, that's the Giant we shop at, too--it's literally a two-minute drive from the house.

I am very much in favor of getting more bulbs to plant, once the weather settles down and figures out what it's doing. One can never have too many flowers.

The sock looks great, I can't wait to see the finished result.

Denise said...

Very glad Em is in a nice place of her own! My kids are nearing that sort of time, too ...

What a lot of pine needles 0_o !

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...