Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Get out your black arm bands. Arthur C. Clarke died. You can read a small obit here. If people haven't read his books (and The Nine Billion Names for God is an absolutely wonderful story!) they will recognize the opening bars of 2001; a space oddessy. He changed the way we communciate by asking why satellites couldn't be used for communications. So, as you use your cell phones and your internet services today, give a thought to the men (and women) who's brilliance make it possible.

Bye Arthur. I'll miss you.

2 comments:

teabird said...

I wish Childhood's End would be reissued and advertised heavily - it's such a good book, and such a good message.
(This coming from a woman whose favorite movie is "The Day the Earth Stood Still"...

Denise said...

He was one of the first sci-fi authors I read as a teenager, and is still one of my favourites. He will be missed.

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...