Monday, April 7, 2008

Well, it's done. It was really quick and weirdly painful. (I took 800 mg ibuprofen, tylenol with codeine and .25 mg of xanax so I was ready!) The doctor and I talked about exactly what was going to happen and she told me when it would be "hard". It was more like cramps than pain but what are cramps but pain? The results should be back in a week. That will give me some idea what I will need to do (if anything) before I meet the surgeon to talk about the gall bladder. The gall bladder has to come out. It wakes me up at night and there is no rhyme or reason for the attacks. I would avoid certain foods if I could identify what they were.

But enough of that. I am crampy but I can deal with it. Kate is making dinner and I am going to share some signs of spring that we are seeing around here. First, we have some hyacinths. These were all given to me as gifts at one time or another and we planted them out front. They take a few years to become large flowers and this year they have put on a spectacular show. Then we have some grape hyacinths. They are so darn cute and they spread all over the place. The mums are starting to make their presence known. They are only little green shoots now but they will be bright, colorful bushes in August and September. And because Bells asked, here is a close up of the red shoots on the maple tree. It is so odd because the leaves will be green. Spring is the most hopeful season of the year. It seems like it's full of possibilities.


In keeping with the colorful theme. Here is April's Artwalk Sock Yarn. It's called Flora on the Sand and is taken from a painting by Paul Klee of the same name. Roxanne dyed the yarn to knit up in blocks of color rather than stripes. It will be fun to find a pattern for it. I was thinking it would look nice in entrelac. I have never knitted anything in entrelac but when has that stopped me? I saw a pattern online a few weeks ago and now I am going to hunt it down. Edited to add: I found the pattern in IK's holiday knits. The Annetrelac socks may do the trick.
Today's Buddhist inspiration is

If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.

~Jack Kornfield
I think it's a good reminder that we all need to have some compassion for ourselves as we go through our days. So, give yourself a break and cut yourself some slack. You're pretty darn terrific just the way you are!

13 comments:

amy said...

I'm glad the test is over with, and I hope the results are good news and swiftly delivered.

I believe the red shoots of the Red Maple tree are actually the flowers, not the leaf buds. We have them all over our wetland setback; in fact up here, they are often also called "swamp maples," because they grow near water.

Please send spring up this way?

Bezzie said...

Weirdly painful. I think that's a great way to describe it. I can almost know what you're talking about (without actually having it done myself).

Good luck with the results and the gall bladder surg!

Love the flowers--you guys look like you're getting a tad bit more than we are up here in North NJ.

Bells said...

Ugh. Sounds ghastly. But it's nice Kate's cooking dinner for you.

Beautiful, beautiful photos. Love them. I adore those little grape hyacinths. Can't wait for mine!

Love the quote. Thank you for that.

Rose Red said...

Oh, I'm glad it's over with - I've had a similar experience and so I empathise. Hope everything's ok.

Love the flowers - hyacinths, grape hyacinths - lovely!

TinkingBell said...

All good news I hope! Love the spring shots - winter is sneaking through the autumn even though officially winter is stillnearly 2 months away - I think this winter will be hard!

roxie said...

It's all over, and you can go ahead with life now. You were well-prepared and brave and you are taking good care of yourself. Good for you!

Thank you for the red bud photo. I've never seen them. (They may be around here in people's gardens, but we've never been formally introduced.)And hooray for hyacinths!

Dianne said...

So glad it's over and done. Now the wait for the report - hope it comes soon and is full of good news!

Amy Lane said...

Fingers still crossed for you and all good health!

That sock yarn is breathtaking--how could you not be optimistic, working with that? (Entrelac: Learn to knit backwards!!!)

Michele said...

glad to hear it went okay!

Sheepish Annie said...

I am so glad that this test is behind you. I don't think I could have been quite as calm about the whole thing as you have been. I'm going to continue thinking all sorts of good thoughts for you!

I love the idea of "compassion for one's self!" How often do we forget to give ourselves a little excuse to be human? I'm going to be human tonight and forgive myself for the peanut butter cups I had for lunch...

jessie said...

Glad to hear you got through that ickiness. Here's hoping it's nothing.

SwissKnits! said...

Glad the tests and pain are over. Hope you get some good news soon!

Michelle

Denise said...

I love that Buddhist quote - thank you for posting it.

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...