Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I have been working on the sweater and have gotten the sleeves put onto the waste yarn and finished another repeat of the lace pattern. It really is an easy 4 row repeat and easy to memorize (despite my carping). I keep a silent 7 count in my head as I move along and that seems to be working. I think by the end of the sweater, I'll be tired of counting to 7! I am loving the Options. I can't seem to get the end screwed on really tight. It comes unscrewed no matter how tightly I screw them on. Is there a trick that I'm not getting? Maybe it's something in the way I knit. They are nice and smooth and make the knitting easy.

This shows the color of the yarn well. I like it and it seems to like me. I know this because the color likes to hang onto my fingers after I put it away. Not bad, just a slight bluish tint. Peter Kevin says it makes me look cyanotic. Very attractive.

Hobbes likes the yarn, too. Before I could get any of it out of the bag, he was making himself at home. Each time I moved it, he came and laid on top of it.

We have had a break in the heat and humidity. It's still really humid but the temps have gone down almost 15 degrees. It makes it easier to hold the sweater on my lap. Everyone told me it moves along easily once you hit the lace part so hopefully, Elanor will have a sweater to wear when the weather gets cooler. Kate has already chosen her sweater. She wants Arwen. It's a pattern I really like. Her only request is that it have a zipper or some other closure. I told her we could probably put a zipper in it with very little trouble. So it looks like I'll be busy with sweaters for a while. I need to make myself an everyday cardigan for the cold weather. I have a wonderful wool sweater that my brother bought for me in Ireland and I love it. I've loved it almost to death at this point. I need something I can replace it with. Maybe something not quite so scratchy. I'll start scouting for an all purpose pattern (although I have a hoodie pattern with a kangaroo pocket that I really like and would be perfect as an everyday sweater).

Well, the tough part of the work week is over and now it's mostly paperwork. We are planning to go out to a local Mexican restaurant with some friends on Saturday. The place is small and painted bright yellow and orange. The food is authentic and delicious. When they first opened, the menus were printed in Spanish and I couldn't read anything. I always ordered quesadillas with pulled pork because I knew what they were. I am not that adventurous and hate spicy food (yea, I know, so why are we eating Mexican?). Turns out this place is not TexMex but more plain Mexican and they have some really good food and it's not all spicy. I'll admit I don't like the cactus soup (very strange texture) and the tortilla soup was a little spicy for me but really tasty. I like the chips but stay away from the salsa. Pk is in heaven since he likes spicy food.

I hope you are all having a good week and have something to look forward to for the weekend.

9 comments:

Rose Red said...

Isn't it funny how cats can just attach themselves to certain things, but not others? Nice photo!

Kaye said...

I do what Hobbes is doing there to your yarn to a good plate of Mexican food!

Galad said...

Did you use your key on the Options needle? The one time I forgot was when it kept coming unscrewed.

The sweater looks great!

TinkingBell said...

Oh yum - can I come with you next time?

Cats are such funny critters - One of my cat was in love with a particular jumper and would be impossible to remove every time I wore it. I'm with Galad - always use the key to tighten - otherwise it will come undoen - usually in the middle of a lace row!

roxie said...

Hobbes is filling the wool with cat energy and love to keep his girl safe. He will also put some hair on the yarn as soon as you let him, as an added token of affection.

There is a mom-n-pop Mexican restaurant near us where I am beginning to learn to eat more adventurously. They do a very mild chicken in chocolate sauce that is awesome! Having discovered that, I choose nothing else, but the fish with lime and mango is calling my name lately.

Alwen said...

We have a great little Mexican restaurant near us, one of our favorite local places to eat.

It's funny how everything I see that I like on the internet these days is blue!

Amy Lane said...

Arwen is one of my favorite sweaters EVER! (Of course that could be because I made a baby-sized one for my little Arwyn star, but whatever:-)

The yarn is gorgeous--but watch out for Hobbes. I know sometimes my cat gets a crush on certain yarns because the smell makes his lizard brain go have a spaz party... he may decide he and that yarn need to get better acquainted!

Bells said...

Ooh Arwen!! I'll enjoy watching you make that too!

DPUTiger said...

As someone else mentioned, are you using the "key" that came with the options needles? Stick the little wire (or a paper clip) through the hole in the cable connection and use it to hold the cable in place while you finger-tighten (as tight as you can) the needle tip. Some people use a little piece of the non-slip stuff you'd put under a rug to help "grip" the needle tips, but I haven't found that to be necessary.

Yes, I am catching up on my blog reading (finally). Why do you ask? ;-)

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...