Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Leave it to teabird to do the research and find out that "garter stitch" was used as the tops of stockings (the garter part) because of it's stretchiness and "stockinette" was used down the leg. In England, it's still called stocking stitch. Thanks, teabird. Inquiring minds are grateful.

I was wondering if there is such a thing as August Brain Melt? I know it's winter down in the southern hemisphere so maybe you all could have August Brain Mush? I can only speak for myself but I am having a difficult time focusing and counting. I figure I can blame it on the fact that summer finally decided to pay us a visit and it's been very hot and humid and my body is using all of its energy to stay cool. That leaves very little to pay attention to counting to large numbers like, say, 7.

As many of you know, the Feb Lady Sweater is mostly garter stitch (which ate up a ton of yarn but looks really nice) and something called a gull wing stitch. This stitch is a count of 7. Yes, 7. The number after 6 and right before 8. A common number and for the moment, one that eludes me. I had two too many stitches after I did my YO increase row so I had to k2tog in an unobtrusive way (which I was totally ok with) and then did the first row of the lace pattern. I purled across the back row and then totally messed up the next row. Somewhere, my August Brain kept losing count. Finally, I just ripped out to the end of the garter stitch and will start again tonight. Maybe. If it's not too hot and my brain isn't feeling too overwhelmed by having to count all the way to 7. Thank goodness it's not a 10 stitch repeat. I shudder at the thought.

Pk and I have discovered that Netflix has the original Star Trek episodes for instant download and have been enjoying watching the crew of the Enterprise go through their adventures. The special effects are cheesy (kinda of like watching old Dr. Who or the BBC version of The Hitchhiker's Guide) but the themes are timeless. So far, I've learned that man has two natures and needs both of them to exist, androids are not as good as humans because they can't love (and love is what it's all about), people weren't meant to have unlimited powers and William Shatner looked good without a shirt when he was young. Now, I think probably, not so much, but when he was young, he was ripped. Not a terribly good actor, but a pretty one.

Happy Tuesday, all. Pk calls it "the second Monday of the week" but I'm determined not to live just for the weekend and to try to find something to enjoy every day. Some days it's damned difficult but I'm going to try.

8 comments:

Rose Red said...

It's called stocking stitch in Australia too (you Americans always have to be different!!)

Once you get the gull stitch established it's easier to "read" it, and know if you've mucked up somewhere. I did...and found it about halfway along the row (sigh!)

Tuesday - one day before Wednesday - halfway through the week! (not sure if that helps!)

roxie said...

Would it help to think of it as "shoesday?" Celebrate shoesday with your favorite pair!

Can you place markers every 7 stitches to separate the repeats?

And just think, you have three hours less Tuesday to get through than I have.

teabird said...

You're welcome! We librarians are here to serve.

William Shatner: I always wonder who told him he could act. Since the earliest roles - "Twilight Zone" episodes - he's been so awful that I never noticed if he waas pretty or not.

I want to do the February sweater, too. Three of my knitting group friends have made it, and it's spectacular.

Galad said...

I did place markers at least every 14 stitches (since I didn't have quite enough to do 7) That was a hint from Ravelry that worked very well for me. It goes very quickly once you hit the gull wing section.

Another Ravelry hint I took was to work the first couple sets of gull wing pattern than go back and do the sleeves. It's not what the pattern calls for, but keeps you from having to turn the whole sweater body around and around.

Good luck and keep cool.

Kate said...

Fun facts about stockinette and garter stitch, mom.
And you never know, Rose, maybe we silly different Americans got the word from someone else! What's it called in German?

Bezzie said...

Shatner's hilarious. I have to say his version of "Common People" cracks me up. He thinks he can sing too!

I want to say I did the 7 stitch marker thing too with my Feb Lady. But I didn't do the garter stitch, combined with all that lace, it would have been even stretchier.

Bells said...

yes we still call it stocking stitch too, as RoseRed said. I think our knitting is historically much more inline with UK knitting terms etc than American. The internet is changing that.

I found the gull lace hard to count when I first tried it on a baby version. it came to me eventually, but it took a while!

Amy Lane said...

*laugh* Yeah, William Shatner WAS pretty! And thank you-- now that I know why it's called garter stitch, I can either promptly forget--or remember, so I can tell other people! (I sort of hope for option B, but with my own personal August Brain Melt, I'm sort of thinking it might be A!)

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...