Saturday, August 22, 2009


Wanna see what life on the edge of a hurricane looks like? If you embiggen this photo, you can see how hard it's raining. And it's been raining like this over and over all day. The weather people at NOAA (national oceanic and atmospheric administration) say this is not technically the edge of Hurricane Bill but that Bill is sitting off the coast and is not allowing this system to move away. It's stuck. So, we're stuck. It started around 1 in the morning when we were awakened by thunder and lightning and a downpour of biblical proportions. It lasted about an hour.




This morning the sky was light grey but the darkness rolled in and the lightning and thunder and then the rain came back. For about another hour.
Then the sun came out and although the temp has dropped about 10 degrees from yesterday's 93F, the heat of the sun made the air seem liquid in its humidity. There were two more ferocious bouts this afternoon and now it's thundering again. I'm starting to be thankful for Pk's woodworking abilities. We will be building our Ark soon.
Our house sits on the bottom of a hill and the clay around here can only absorb so much water before it just runs off. Our crawlspace is full of water so we got out the pump and are pumping it every hour or so to keep the water out of the house. It's more fun than you can shake a stick at!



See the blue swirl? That's Bill. He's finally moving off the coast and is headed to New England (watch out Annie and Amy!) and then on to Canada.


The upside of all of this? (come on, you knew I'd find one). We won't have to worry about drought conditions for a long, long time.


Wherever you are on this ahem, lovely, weekend, I hope you're dry and doing something fun.

8 comments:

amy said...

We went looking for signs of heavy surf today but didn't see much. We might go down to Watch Hill in Westerly tomorrow if the 5yo is feeling better. Either way the humidity is awful. I'm hoping Bill sweeps by and takes the humidity with him.

I hope your basement isn't flooded!

Bells said...

holy crap that's a lot of rain and a spot of scary weather. Scariness aside, not having the worry about drought conditions sounds pretty good to me!

TinkingBell said...

Hope you are all OK - we are thinking of building an ark here because so far it has rained since the beginning of july

we are on track for our second flood in a month. Sigh. It never rains, but it pours.

Rose Red said...

Looks like you have our weather (well, except we don't get hurricanes) and you've got ours - today it was about 26C here (79F) - bizarre "winter" weather!! I can't remember the last time it rained here. Doesn't bode well for summer...

Bezzie said...

wow we didn't get it that bad!!

MadMad said...

We are on the Cape... theoretically in the "center" of the path, more or less... and NOTHING. I mean, not NOTHING, but certainly not what you described, even. Just a quick shower or two.

Of course, no sooner than I typed that, it started to rain... Hm. I need to learn to keep my mouth closed...

Alwen said...

I don't think it's from Bill, but our son had a Scout thing, and they ALWAYS have rain when they schedule outdoor activities. Someone in their group just attracts rainclouds, I guess!

DrK said...

the weather is starting to freak me out. its a real summer day here and we are not even officially out of winter, and you guys are getting hurricanes, and there are fires in greece. not good at all...

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...