Thursday, October 1, 2009

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.


~The Buddha

Happy October!  It feels like fall here in South Jersey this morning.  We had an overnight low of 48 (8.8 C) and it's only supposed to be in the 60's today.  Just what you'd expect for fall.  Often, it stays hot well into October but this year nature seems determined to stay on schedule.

I made a quasi-promise to myself back in January that I was going to focus on positive things and to encourage positive things in my life.  I have tried to keep that promise but often fall short.  Especially with all of the negative things at work.  I listen to people complain day after day and it wears me down until I 'm doing the same thing.  Once in a while I get up the gumption to say "wait, I'm doing ok, it's not all bad" but more often I just make agreeing noises and let it go. 

Today's Buddhist inspiration reminded me that I am in charge of the tone of my thoughts.  If I want happiness and goodness to be around me, I have to put it there.  It's a timely thought. I have been kind of down and sad (understandably) but I want to climb out of that hole and stand in the happy sunlight again.  So, i am thinking of one or two things that make me happy.  Just one or two, although in reality there are many.  Maybe  during Blogtoberfest, I'll take some time to recognize the good things in my life each day.  For today,  I am happy that  Em has recovered most of herself back (It brought tears to my eyes when I watched her run up a flight of steps.  I am so very grateful she's ok).  I am happy that I work with compassionate, caring people (I'm looking at some beautiful fall flowers someone gave me yesterday).  I'm happy I have a job that allows me to fulfill my need to help.  Three things to smile about today.

What makes you smile?


10 comments:

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Donna Lee, I'm sorry to read the news about your mother.

I'm really glad you decided to join in with Blogtoberfest this year. That's something that made me happy today.

Louiz said...

I try to be positive but although I think I am in person I find that sometimes the tone in my blog is quite negative. So maybe I should write about what makes me happy...

Kate said...

You.

Rose Red said...

Fortunately at the moment I have lots of things to be happy about - right now, I'm happy that lots of my favourite bloggers (like YOU!) are posting every day this month, that it is a long weekend this weekend and that it isn't as hot today as it was yesterday!

Bells said...

I am happy that I know you Donna Lee, because you always put a spin on things that encourages me to look a differently at the world. You and your family are one of the best things about blogging.

amy said...

Oh, I've just had one of those evenings when you know you've failed as a mother--not in the big scheme of things, of course, but in the day-to-day tasks. So. Not feeling too happy. But here's one: I am happy that I have my husband's job-related travel to stress about, rather than being stressed because nobody in the house has a job. That's perspective, isn't it?

Bezzie said...

What makes me smile? Probably the little saying my sister and I stole from The Simpsons (who stole it from somewhere else I think). It's: "Push out the jive, bring in the love."
I'm having a week of jive right now and I'm trying my best to push it out. But seriously, chanting this is so absurd, it makes me laugh.

roxie said...

You make me smile, my dear. Your courage is heartwarming.

Geek Knitter said...

So many things to smile about. Blogs written by courageous people (like you) are certainly high on the list!

LemonyRenee' said...

I'm happy that my daughter and my husband are finally recovering from the flu they've had all week. And I'm happy I have found your blog!

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...