Friday, October 2, 2009

Things that make me happy, Part 2.

It's Friday.  I have resolved not to just dismiss Monday through Thursday (they are all worthy days and deserving of some joy) but Friday always holds a special place in my heart. 

A daughter who says that I make her happy.

Waking up and not having a headache and stiff joints from the flu shot I had to get. (Wed and Thurs I felt crappy and I'm blaming it on the injection)


I'm continually amazed at the number of people who pull out their electronic devices on the train in the morning.  They are checking email and some are doing work before they get to work.  I know this because their screens don't have any protection on them and I can read their work.  What I don't understand is WHY?  It's a 30 minute train ride from end to end. Why spend it working?  I use the time to adjust myself mentally to face the work day and in the afternoon I use it to let go of the work day and relax before I get home.  I don't want to feel like I'm at work before I even walk through the building.  And unless the train is really crowded, it's a half hour of knitting time in the afternoon.  (In the morning knitting is impossible because it takes two hands and Pk has hold of one of them.  No sacrifice there.  Hold my husband's hand or some metal needles?  No contest.)

We have a quiet weekend planned.  I need to get down the winter clothes and put away the white cotton skirts and short sleeved shirts that I love to wear in the summer.  It means a whole day of laundry.  I like the way the closets look, all straightened and neat but I hate spending a whole day doing it.  And I want to get out the fall decorations for the house.  There are ceramic ghosts and pumpkins that I look forward to seeing come out of storage.  Pk is going to spend some time working on his tree.

Did I tell you about his tree?  One of my brother's neighbors had a large hickory tree blow down in a storm.  When Pk saw it, he went to the man and offered to cut parts of it up for firewood if he could have the trunk.  The man agreed and Pk set to work.  He ended up with a 6 foot length of trunk that's about 24 inches across.  It's huge, almost 800 pounds of wood.  He's so excited because it will make a top for a work bench he's been wanting to make for a while.  And he keeps hinting that there's enough wood to make a spinning wheel for me.  Hopefully, he and Jim's dad, Big Jim, will be able to cut it into manageable sections and transport it to our house.  The the fun begins. 

I'd like to spend the weekend spinning some alpaca for Pk's sweater.  I swatched it and it's soft and beautiful.  It's going to be gorgeous.

Have a good Friday.  I'll see you tomorrow!


6 comments:

roxie said...

PK is a lucky man. And you are lucky to have him! Holding hands all the way to work - you guys are an icon for romantics everywhere!

Alwen said...

And hickory is awesome firewood, too. We don't often get it, but when we do, every time I put a piece in the fire it smells like a ham to me!

Bells said...

oh that sounds intriguing, having a whole trunk to play wiht. Whatever he ends up doing with it, can we see?

Bezzie said...

Ooo...a neighborhood spinning wheel! I like it!

Yeah if I had the luxury of training to work, I'd be relaxing too. As it is, when I'm cursing the traffic, I still remind myself it's better than sitting in the office--hahahahaha!

Rose Red said...

I know some people work on the train or bus because it means half an hour, or an hour, whatever, less that they have to spend in the office, and an hour or whatever more they can spend at home. No doubt they envy (to some extent) your ability to not have to work on the train.

Like Bells, I'd love to see pictures of the trunk and the end product(s)!

Amy Lane said...

I drive, but I REALLY need that static mental time-- keeps me sane!

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...