Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Still no internets at the house.  We are finding other things to do.  Pk has games that aren't online and he plays those.  I do the usual.  I knit and listen to a book on my mp3 player.  (Currently it's David Baldacci's The Whole Truth.  The man tells a good story and his characters are never perfectly good or perfectly evil.  I like that.)  I usually check the email and read some blogs in the evening but that has to be done at work.  Well, the blog reading can be done at work but the email is piling up since I can't access that here.  Oh and we talk. 

Yesterday after work, we ran some errands.  Pk needed new slippers since the temps are starting to drop into the cold toes territory.  We went to Sears and I was looking for new khaki pants since my old ones were looking rather worn and like they might give out in an embarassing way at work.  I found some at Sears and I found some black twill pants as well.  I went to put on the black ones this morning and the button came off in my hand.  These were not the most expensive pants but they are Lee's and I expected better than that.  I can't fix the button because it's one of those funky snap together things.  I replaced it with a regular button and that was that.  It's just disappointing to find a product that falls apart brand new.  Pk said to take them back but they were the only ones in my size and it's only a button. I own many pairs of pants by this company because they fit my body type and this is the first time it's happened.  I'm just glad I had a button and knew how to sew it on.


They turned off the a/c at work yesterday.  We were so cold for most of the day that I had goose bumps and I couldn't get warm.  Then in the late afternoon, I smelled the heater (you know that smell?  when you turn on the heater for the first time?) and soon it was toasty in the building.  And then it got oppressively hot.  There is no middle ground.  Cold/Hot.  That's it.  So now for the next several months, it's hot in here.  I opened the window and that helps but the dry heat is hell on the sinuses.

I won a collage from TinnieGirl!  She was having a giveaway for blogtoberfest (she is the inventor of Blogtoberfest) and I won in a randomly generated number thing.  This is so cool because she makes the most amazing collages.  If you've never seen her work, check it out. 

Not much else is going on. I'm using some Schaeffer yarn that Amy Lane sent me a while ago to make a Wildflowers shawl.  It's beautiful.  When I get my camera back from Kate and I have some internets at home, I'll show you.  I am ripping out the Fir Cone shawl from Folk Shawls because the yarn is too thin for the pattern.  I don't like it.  I guess I'll just have to find something I like better.  Sigh.  What a terrible fate, yarn shopping.

We are taking a half day tomorrow in hopes of meeting the verizon guy and getting our electrons lined up again.  Cross your fingers.

9 comments:

amy said...

good luck with the internets!!

Bells said...

our building is often the same - too hot or too cold!

I think that shawl is lovely. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

And I know that feeling of disappointment when something you've bought breaks straight away. A button came off a new cardi recently within hours. I fixed it but geez, could they just TRY and secure them properly!?

Bezzie said...

Oh here's hoping!!! I won't tell you the horror stories I've heard about Verizon!

Rose Red said...

I've got my fingers crossed for you too - it's so annoying to not have the internets at home!

roxie said...

Thinking all good internet thoughts. In the meantime, it's nice to be married to someone you can talk with. And thank goodness for books!

Jeanne said...

Sometime its nice to take a break from the computer - but never when you don't want to - I hope your internet comes back soon!

But it sounds like you are having a nice time without it...

GenerallyGemma said...

Ahhh yes, heater smell! The absolute certainty that Winter is here! I put our gas fire on in the lounge last weekend and it took me ages to figure out that that is what it was!

Alwen said...

We call that smell the burning dust smell. I dust the soapstone stove all summer, but we still got it the first time we fired it up.

Amy Lane said...

sometimes me hates the internets! We had our first rainstorm yesterday... it was more like a monsoon!

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...