Monday, October 12, 2009


Well, the best laid plans......

I missed blogging yesterday but not for lack of desire. For lack of electrons flowing through the wires bringing the Internets to my house.

It all started Friday.  We got home from work to find the Verizon guy working at our house.  Since we didn't know we had a problem, we were puzzled.  It turned out that Elanor had lost her connection and he was there to fix hers.  Unfortunately, she gave him some incorrect information and our connection was now toast.  Thankfully Pk was there and he told the guy what was going on and after some 2 hours our connection was restored but El's wasn't.

Saturday morning when I woke up, I decided I didn't want to spend my anniversary doing laundry and grocery shopping so we decided to go to Lancaster for the day.  I called the girls ( at 8 AM on a Saturday) and asked if they wanted to go.  El rolled over and said yes, Kate said yes after she answered with a sleepy "what's going on?", and Em said "no".  She called back 5 mins later and said that since she was up, she might as well go ("I was going to sleep as late as humanly possible.....").

This was the first time we all went together and it was a lovely day.  There were only a few photos taken since my family does not like their photo taken.  There was some cherry apple cider purchased and an assortment of teas (my favorite is called Celebration, it seemed appropriate for the day) and cheeses.  And some really lovely scarlet silk to spin (Em) and some wine colored corriedale and some blue sock yarn (me) and some carmel colored merino (Kate).  We had a delicious lunch and then headed home. 

When we got home, we discovered that El's connection was working and ours was not.  Pk spent well over 2 hours trying to convince them that it probably wasn't an equipment failure on our part since it was working on Sat morning and no one had been home all day and wasn't it a coincidence that whatever they did at the main station to restore El's service had knocked ours out?  The young man didn't get it and now they are sending a technician out on Wednesday afternoon.  We won't have internets in our house until then.  And of course, someone has to be home "between the hours of 1 and 5". 


On the bright side, both of the doctors I work with are on vacation this week so my workload is dramatically decreased.  I have a lot of paperwork so I can catch up on that.  It's Columbus Day here in the US and it's a federal holiday.  That means no postal service and banks are closed.  It's not one of the holidays we get off here in healthcareland.  It's also Thanksgiving Day in Canada.  Happy Thanksgiving!

And I hope you are all having a good Monday!

5 comments:

Alwen said...

Hey, go look at TinnieGirl's blog: you are a winner!

http://tinniegirl.blogspot.com/2009/10/blogtoberfest-day-12-taking-stock.html

Congratulations!

amy said...

So you have two connections in the same house? You're making me nervous about the Verizon guys. ;)

I hope it all gets worked out easily!

roxie said...

Your anniversary sounds lovely. Now if we can just get all those electrons lined up and flowing in the same direction .. .

Bezzie said...

My blog reader updates a day late anyway so I'll pretend this is Sunday's post and that you didn't miss a day ;-)

Sheepish Annie said...

Gah! Tech stuff drives me nuts, especially when I am at the mercy of the repair people! Good luck and fast internet recovery to you...

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...