Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I got my H1N1 shot today.  My employer required it and I decided not to put up a fuss and just rolled up my sleeve (again).  When I went over to the main hospital at lunch time, there were only 12 doses left so if I had just waited a little longer I could have said "well, I tried".  My arm is a little sore this time.  The nurse was really good but there was a lot of serum.


I've been working on my Wildflowers shawl which is nice fairly mindless knitting. This photo shows the colors  too bright.  The colors are really the bruised colors of a rainy, thunderstormy sky.  It's alpaca/merino and called Smokey Sunset. This pattern is not lacey but has little lace flowers embedded in the stockinette.  When it's blocked, the flowers will stand out and it will be beautiful.

I have decided to finish this and two of the three pairs of socks going before I start the Travelling Woman shawl.  I can't stand the idea of that many wips at once.  It gives me a headache.

This is the yarn Jim gave me for my birthday.  The color is a soft gray and there's enough to make a scarf or maybe a hat.  I don't currently own a hat (I hate them, they always make my head itch) and I'm thinking I need one for the coming winter.


Here we have the artwalk sock club yarn for November.  I don't know if you can see the paper but the inspiration was The Scream by Munch.  The base for the yarn is bfl and it's probably the scrunchiest sock yarn I've ever held.  This is what I bribed Elanor with to get her to give up the yarn I want to use for the travelling woman shawl.  She is very pleased and not at all unhappy with the deal.  I'm thinking I'll make Fools Rush socks with this.  I've made them before and they show off the beauty of the yarn with a minimal pattern.

Group was difficult today.  I had a hard time getting folks to participate and I was fighting off the beginning of a migraine (funny aura and slow speech) so I was not in the best form myself.  No one seemed really interested and I just didn't have it in me to be entertaining.  It's a bit frustrating when people just sit there and look at you waiting for some words of wisdom to come out of your mouth and you have nothing. 

Today is Veteran's Day here in the US (Remembrance Day in the UK).  Pk is a vet and has spent the day reminding me to be mindful of the sacrifices that our men and women in (and out of) uniform make every day. 

So, thank you. To all the men and women who thought our country was important enough to give part (or all of) their lives to defend.  I appreciate your service.  I appreciate your courage and most of all, I appreciate you.

4 comments:

amy said...

I've just decided to give the boys the shot through the after-school clinic, assuming they have the vaccine available by the time theirs is scheduled. (Their school is towards the bottom of the randomly generated list.) The latest cold left them both tight & wheezy in the chest and getting albuterol through inhalers as a result, so I think that tips them into a risk group. Still, it makes me nervous. They've never had flu shots before. I hate giving so many vaccines to kids.

Lovely yarn pictures. I haven't bought any yarn for myself for a couple of months now, and I'm fine with that. I do like looking at it, though!

Bells said...

Rememberance Day here too, well, yesterday. Silence at 11am in the office always feels odd, like we should be doing more.

I'm going to do travelling woman soon too!

Bezzie said...

OUt of curiosity did they make you sign a waiver? We've been drafting H1N1 waivers at work non stop for employers making or offering the shot to their employees.

Can't wait to see what hat you come up with!

roxie said...

Bamboo and angora will be droopy and drapey with no natural elasticity. Maybe not the best idea for a hat? Well, it's only yarn. If you don't like the finished product, frog and re-knit. Twice as much knitting fun for the price of one.

Hope the shot doesn't give you any repercussions.

Lovely yarn pictures. yummy!

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...