Monday, February 15, 2010

There will be no more posting at work.  At least not for the forseeable future.  On Friday, I was waiting for some phone calls to be returned and decided to read blogs at my desk.  WebSense (our web monitor) wouldn't let me read my own blog or anyone else's.  It wouldn't let me log onto ravelry.  It would let me read web comics but not "social networking sites".  Like Facebook.  Personally, I blame Facebook for this.  I think so many people are spending time at work on facebook (like when I go into the scheduling room and hear the cows there in farmland mooing, I know they're not working), that they have to step in and do something.  WebSense is a strange program.  You can do an end run around it sometimes and get onto the websites you want but then it suddenly catches up with you and blocks your access.  I don't know how long this will last but I'm afraid it's permanent. 


I want to show you my hat.
First off, let me say, I don't like hats.  I never have.  They make my head itch, even baseball caps.  I only wear them when it's below freezing (which it has been quite a bit this winter).  When I finished the Sisters Hat, I was so disappointed it didn't fit well.  It made me look like I have a bullet head.  Then I saw this.  This is the Naragansett Hat from A Fine Fleece.  I saw it and thought that this could be the hat for me.  I measured my head (22" around) and made the 23" size rather than the 21" size so it wouldn't be tight on my head.  I had some of the angora/wool/bamboo left and this is it.  It was an easy knit, only took me from Friday night until Sunday afternoon (and there were chores and errands in there, too).
It fits like a bucket hat.  Just like I wanted.  It's light and warm and just about perfect.  And now Elanor wants one, too.  There are several patterns in that book that I am admiring.  El took the photos.  I tried to take a photo of myself wearing the hat but that's harder than taking a photo of myself wearing socks.
And thanks Bells for the link to the circular cast on.  It is easy to follow and I probably wouldn't have any problems if I weren't knitting with this dental floss yarn!  I finally decided to use some bamboo dpns to start so it wouldn't be as slippery.  I have some that are a little bit bigger but I don't think it'll make any real difference.  I had all the way up to the third round of increases when I noticed a hole.  I pulled it out and I'll start it again.  Soon, but not tonight.

Last night I decided I didn't like the glynnis pattern from Cookie A's book and ripped out the cuff I was almost finished.  I decided the yarn should be Embossed Leaves instead and cast on for those.  I love that pattern.  I'm going to work on those for a bit. 

And then I'm going to put my tired self to bed.

11 comments:

amy said...

It's probably a case of a few people taking advantage at work, spoiling it for everyone. Nice hat, though! I've given up caring what my hair might look like this winter because of the hat. It's cold! And I am amused by how many people need to tell me that the girl and I have matching hats. Oh my goodness! I hadn't noticed!! ;)

Anonymous said...

that circular cast on was definitely easy with heavy weight cotton - I utterly despise casting on for a circular lace shawl - it's just such a very, very difficult thing! Are you resting it on a cushion while you do it? It definitely helps!

Louiz said...

I hate hats too, but it's been too cold not to here as well. My hat is itchy and scratchy. I really ought to get round to making myself one as well, that looks really nice.

Bezzie said...

That's a cute hat. I hear you about the photo-shots of a hat though. Incredibly hard!

Olivia said...

That hat looks lovely on you. Nice work!

Dianne said...

Love that hat! Too bad about the work stuff. Sounds like a few are ruining it for everyone.

Saren Johnson said...

Very nice hat. It will come in handy during the last days of winter.

Our network has changed, we can now reach Facebook. Pretty strange.

roxie said...

Nice knitting! Bummer about the computer access.

The circular cast on is not, I take it, for another hat. Would it be that mystery shawl KAL? Wayyy cool! You are so brave!

Rose Red said...

Bummer about the computer access. I was always worried about work cutting off blogs and rav, when I was still there, but they didn't, fortunately!

I'm a bit the same with beanie type hats, I find berets (or cloches with a decent brim) are the best style of knitted hat for me. I think you have picked a winner with yours!

Alwen said...

Doesn't it feel great when you finally knit something that you just couldn't get right for so long? That's exactly how I felt when I broke the Hat Curse!

DrK said...

heh, hats make me itch too. but thats one pretty. they cant cut our internet at work cos it could be 'research related'. hehe.

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...