Monday, September 10, 2012

It's funny how a month can seem to change the weather.  September has always meant Autumn to me even though our calendar says we have until the 21st until Summer officially ends.  But, as soon as it became September, the nights feel cooler and the days are not as oppressive and they're shorter and getting shorter every day.

Pk and I enjoyed our mini vacation and went back to work for a short week that felt like a very long week.  The problem with short weeks is that sometimes you have to cram all the stuff from a regular week into fewer days.  It's like stretching and bending the spacetime continuum and it can leave you weirdly disoriented and tired.
So, here's some photos of life around here the past week. 

The storm system that brought with it the change in the weather.  It had been so humid all week, even though the temps were lower.  Everything felt damp and icky.  On Saturday this system moved into the neighborhood.  Em said they got pounded with high winds and heavy rain.  We got some rain but not quite like she did.  It left us with blue skies and puffy white clouds and (for the moment) comfortable temperatures.  
evil sheep
sleepy sheep
Sunday when we got up, it was glorious.  Off to the sheep show.  There were mean looking sheep like this guy.  He kept rolling his eyes at me and I swear he was thinking evil sheep thoughts.
There were sleepy sheep.  This poor guy looked so tired.  He had his head jammed into
the bars and was sound asleep.
naked sheep
This poor guy looked embarassed to be mostly naked.  He must have been recently shorn because you could see the marks where the shears had been.  Kinda like the marks the vacuum cleaner makes on carpet.  He wouldn't look at us. 
llama
And LLamas!  This guy was in a stall in the corner all alone.  I think he was lonely.  He was desperately trying to get someone, anyone's attention but then when we got close, he started humming in distress.  He was a tease.

We watched the Border Collies herd some sheep.  The trainer had a seasoned dog paired with a pup.  The difference was so obvious.  The pup kept running into the middle of the sheep and scattering them.   The trainer pointed out that when folks buy border collies, they are getting the pup and not the seasoned dog.  He also made sure people knew that they were very active, intelligent dogs that would find occupations for themselves if you didn't keep them busy.(and that you probably wouldn't like their idea of "occupation")  This beautiful boy just wanted to get into the action but it wasn't his turn.  You could see him thinking "put me in, coach.  I can do better than that!"

I kept my purchases to a minimum.  I promised myself I would only buy something unusual, different or something I didn't already have.  I bought 2 oz of a yak/merino blend (clouds in a box).  It comes from a farm in NJ.  We have yaks in NJ!  Who knew?  We're going to take a trip out to the farm in October (for their sit, sip and spin day) and see them in person.  I don't know how something so big and shaggy can make the softest, most beautiful fluff.  Pk is not interested in the spinnable parts of the yak but the edible parts.He's looking for yak steaks or yak kabobs.

When Christmas comes and it's cookie making time, we'll have these to add to our collection.  Who wouldn't love a t-rex with a holly wreath?  or a sheep with some pine boughs?  Pk chose the moon and the batman.  Batman with a Santa hat?  I can't wait.

Kate stopped to admire a Cricket loom and the (very smart) woman behind the counter offered to show her how to work it.  Kate has been wanting one of these for a while so she said YES. (one of the best parts of the NJ show is the smallness.  You can talk to vendors and not feel crowded) I knew it was all over but the signing of the credit slip.  Kate brought home the loom and within an hour of being home, texted me some photos of the weaving she had done.  Then she asked if she could bring it over because Patrick wasn't impressed enough and she wanted to show off. 

And since I always encourage my children in their craft endeavors, I said of course.  She was most of the way through her first ever piece of woven fabric.  A lovely green and purple thing which she will keep forever to remind herself where she started. 

I also bought a very large bag of kettle corn (I love this stuff) and a few ounces of alpaca/silk that will probably spin like spider web.  It's so smooth.  We had a great time.

I watched and listened to some young folks' merino sheeps being judged.  The judge explained about how the very best had a micron count that was this much and how that made all the difference.  Those kids were getting an education as well as being judged on their sheep.  And since this is technically the Garden State Sheep Breeders Show, this is what it's all about.  The vendors and such are what keeps them solvent, but the education is the key.  Those kids paid attention.

We went to dinner with Kate and Patrick and came home to fall asleep and get up way too early this morning for work.  It was still dark when the alarm went off!  Like I said, these days are getting shorter and shorter.  

Sigh.

6 comments:

Saren Johnson said...

The llama sure looked like he wanted company.

Kaye said...

What time were you there? I was there from about 2:30 to 5! I saw a lot of these same sheep--I need to find some time to blog about it...

They told me that shearing a sheep is easier than giving a toddler a haircut though (when I wondered out loud if it would be easier/harder than giving a toddler a haircut). So hmm...maybe there are sheep in my future!

DrK said...

its funny isnt it, it seemed like that here too, as soon as the calendar flicked over to sept 1 the temperature went up about 10 degrees and next thing i know i was in the pool! the air feels different here already. look at all those gorgeous sheep! sounds like you made some very astute purchases.

Sheepish Annie said...

When school starts up, I'm ready for the change in the weather. If summer vacation is over, then don't tease me with a beach day! Loved hearing about the Cricket loom. Maybe someday I'll take the plunge!

Anonymous said...

I was going to say the same thing as DrK. We've had a glorious September so far, and the days are definitely getting longer.

Sounds like you had a great time at the Show.

Julia G said...

Thanks for sharing your day at the fair - who knew sheep were so expressive? I always says I'll get to our local fairs in the fall, but somehow the start of school keeps me busy. Next year for sure!

I feel the same way (pun intended) about touching everything - I think that's why I love knitting, because it's so tactile. I was always intimidated about spinning but will definitely try that as well. And I've been swooning over the Cricket looms ever since I saw the beautiful scarves the Yarn Harlot's been weaving on hers. Back in college I took an art class where we built our own simple looms, about 24" x 36", and learned to weave - really fascinating, I'd like to try it again.

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...