Sunday, July 15, 2007









Today was a lovely Sunday. Peter Kevin and I spent the day at the lake with our niece, Maggie. She is a sweet, funny, smart 7 year old. I know she is tired tonight after all the swimming and sand castle building she did today. We had a good day. One of the nicest things about going to the lake is the fact that you HAVE to relax. There are no chores to do and you are forced to sit in the shade of an umbrella and breathe in the hot sunshine. I wanted to use a photo of Maggie but realized I didn't check with her parents and they might not be too keen on it so here is a shot of another local lake instead. Both are in the Pinelands and are "cedar" water. This means they turn your bathing suit brownish when you swim. This is due to the high iron content of the soil. I don't think anyone swims in this particular lake at least not right here because of the dam. But it is still beautiful.


In other news, I finished hiking sock number one on Friday and cast on late Saturday night for number two. So I am halfway through my Tour de France kal project. It is a nice, warm, thick sock and I really like the yarn. It is a wool, acrylic blend that the lys recommended for this kind of sock. It's hard to think about thick and warm being a good thing in July when we are wilting under 95 degree days! I am hoping to finish the other one soon so I can finish Katie's monkeys.


Back to work tomorrow. I have no medication clinics to take care of and will have time to catch up on paperwork all week. The nice part is that I can leave on time and take time to actually eat my lunch and maybe, just maybe, knit a little. I still have social rehabilitation groups to run but they are the best parts of my week. Most of the individuals in the groups benefit from being able to talk about their illnesses and how they are moving down their paths to recovery. It takes very little encouragement for them to share their experiences with the group. Very often, they have no one at home who wants to listen.


I read what Pope Benedict had to say this week and it makes me so sad. I am not Catholic and not even sure I qualify as Christian but I do know that the kind of papers he is issuing are devisive and not inclusive or loving. Does it matter that we all travel different paths in our lives? Can't we just accept that our "way" may not be someone else's but they are all equally valid?


Sorry, I am off the soapbox, now. Have a good Sunday evening everyone!


6 comments:

MadMad said...

Wow - you said so much in such a short space. My old editors would approve! (I always tend to run on...) Anyway, first off - beautiful picture of the lake, and I agree: I love coming to our shack at the beach because there really is nothing to "do" but have fun and relax. (And knit!) Two: the sock came out great, don't you think?! I love it! And three: yes, it would be much, much easier, if we all got that not everyone is the same, and could accept differences, wouldn't it?

Olivia said...

Mmm, that sock looks warm and cozy from here! (it's nearly 11am, foggy and only a few degrees C).

I was brought up Catholic, but I am definitely not religious any more. I don't get it. Such a strange world-view, that he needs to make sure people understands that there's only one way (most religions say that!). I had a lot more respect for old John Paul II.

Anonymous said...

The hiking sock came out great, nice colors. You are halfway there! Kristen (fellow TdF KAL-er)

Amy Lane said...

Excellent sock--and that's interesting about the lake! I know out here, it's red dirt--up in the Northernmost part of the state, it will stain your clothes pretty badly.

I have no idea what the Pope said...but then, I can imagine...it's hard when the leaders who are supposed to lead us to peace say and do things that just lead us to prejudice...

colleen said...

Pope Benedict. I have no words for that situation. Its rather scary infact.

Thanks for the comment. Sorry you've got the butter fingers too! Oh well, could be worse right, you could be whistling like the guy on the train this morning... what posesses people to do such things i will never know!

Ina said...

The hiking sock looks great. If the one kept trying to escape, just think what mischief two will get into.

The recent Vatican statement reminds me of a bully railing at an ex who dared to leave the abusive relationship. The interesting thing to me is its timing - why do the old quarrels seem important to anyone right now.

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...