Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Well, knitting is a process, right? It's not all about the finished objects, is it? I keep telling myself that as I re-knit the sock I had 2/3 done. When I examined it last night, I was not real thrilled with the neatness of where I picked up the gusset. So, I ripped out the whole thing and started again. I am making the smaller size, unusual for me, but the larger size (co 72 sts) seemed too big. I have wide feet but this was too big for me. So, now I am just finishing the ribbing and ready to get started on the pattern. But there is good news, too. I just got my copy of On the Road Knitting by Nancy Bush. Amazon said they didn't have it so I had to buy a used copy and thankfully it is in good shape. Now I have a world of new socks to ogle and plan for. Yay for yarn dreams!

6 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

It's taken me a long time to accept that ripping is just part of the process. I have many, many ugly knitted things in my home that I finished simply because I refused to rip them and start over. It's painful to do. But better than an ugly something that you will never use or wear! Of which I have a lot...

Rose Red said...

That is a great sock book - in fact, all of Nancy Bush's sock books are great - so many choices, so little time!

Denise said...

Well yes, process is good, but so is progress. Painful to have to undo so much :/ 72 stitches does sound like a lot!

Congrats on the new book - mmmmm, books (drool).

roxie said...

Can you pretend it is a brand new sock which you know will fit perfectly? Or just go with the zen of the process.

Bells said...

that book is definitely on my must buy list. Soon....

and yes, the process is so important. So many of us are process knitters. I am a mix of both though and my process and producer sides often get into fights!

Amy Lane said...

Oh fun--I love that Nancy Bush book...and good for you for frogging...I'm finally getting to be proud enough of my knitting to frog!!!

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...