Sunday, July 29, 2007

As I was reading some blogs at work on Friday, I came across Yarnation. The Duchess, who writes the blog, was describing how her husband reads to her while she knits and how pleasurable this is. I thought that was really nice and suggested to Peter Kevin that he could read to me and I cannot quite capture in words his response. He did, however, suggest that we could go to the bookstore and purchase Harry Potter on cd and I could listen to the cds while I knit. Now, that is one of my favorite ways to knit, listening to a good book but I felt it was very self-indulgent and said so. He said "Let me spoil you today". So, Kate and I went to the bookstore and purchased the new Harry Potter book read by a wonderful man named Jim Dale. He is amazing and has won several awards for his over 200 voices created for the HP books. So, it took forever to load them onto my mp3 player (the technologists in my family said load them to the computer first but I didn't listen) so they would be portable. During this time, very little housework got done, except laundry (clean underwear is a necessity) but I did manage to do some knitting( imagine that). I am loving the book. I never thought I would like to be read to but since I cannot read on the train(I get sick) I have become addicted to recorded books. Thank goodness there are hundreds available for download at netlibrary.


This is the hourglass lace sock pattern that I started on Friday night. Every new pattern I try teaches me something. What I learned this time is that I take a long time to learn a pattern and become comfortable with it. There is a lot of frogging in the beginning but usually I have success if I persevere. This is nice and stretchy and should fit my rather wide feet nicely without stretching the pattern all out of wack. I like it and I like working with the white yarn. It is so pretty and soft when knit up.
The sky is quite threatening right now. They are predicting heavy downpours today and I am looking forward to a quiet day indoors with Harry and the sock. I am going to put dinner in the crockpot very soon so even that will be taken care of. Now, if I could just get someone to do the little bit of ironing there is to do, the day would be perfect.
Have a peaceful day everyone.

11 comments:

Bezzie said...

Yeah I love my husband, and he's well read, but his pronounciation of many words is to be desired!

Cool sock!

Sheepish Annie said...

The HP books are ones that I have enjoyed only as audio books. I love to read, but these are so incredibly well done that I have made it a tradition to listen to them. Love it!!!

Also love the sock. Nice work!

MadMad said...

Sounds like a lovely day! (And the new sock looks very nice, too!)

Denise said...

Hubby has all the Goon Shows on his iTunes, and we also listen to BBC7 (streamed audio over the 'net), so often in the evenings we listen to funny radio shows; my favourite way to spend knitting time. Glad you're enjoying listening to stories :)

Cool sock, too!

Meg said...

The sock is looking great! I love audio books, but alot depends on the reader's voice. Thanks for the HP tip!

roxie said...

I like books on tape rather than on CD because you can just pick up right where you left off. with CD, you have to skip to the beginning to the chapter and go from there. Terry Pratchet has books on tape. Try them. If you like Mysteries, The Elizabeth Peters "Brother Cadfael" series is delicious (The reader has such a warm, gravely voice!)I play books on tape to get me through housework and any other mindless work.

I love your white lace sock. How classic! The lace shows off magnificiently!

Ina said...

The sock looks beauteous! Books on tape put me right to sleep, which can be useful sometimes.

knitseashore said...

Your sock looks amazing so far! I'm not an HP fan, so I'm sorry I can't comment there.

Megan said...

Oh I'm so glad you found a way to enjoy HP. I often listen to audio books as well because my huaband and I are on different sleep schedules and he isn't always awake to read to me. I have found librivox.org great. Some of the readers are better than others, but most of them are very good.
Your socks look beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I have lots of "undyed" sock yarn in my stash. This post just inspired me to knit it 'as is'... thank you.

Amy Lane said...

Heavens--that sock is just gorgous!!! I should just cave and buy audio books...I can only knit simple stuff while I'm knitting...

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...