Friday, August 3, 2007











It starts out so innocently. My daughter Emily was not going to have enough yarn to finish a baby afghan for a friend. She has to work and the lys that carries the yarn she needs (that little bit of orange in the top of the photo is her yarn) is only open summer hours. (sigh) What's a mother to do? I volunteered to make the drive to KnittyKnotty to pick up her yarn. Kate overhears "yarn store" and decides she wants to come along. So we make the supreme sacrifice and get to the store. Kate's birthday is Sunday so I buy her some sock yarn she really likes as an early gift. My birthday is in 3 months, so I buy me an early gift, too. One skein of tofutsies in pinks and greys and three skeins of blue and black and white self patterning sock yarn. Not too bad? Well, I am waiting for 2 sock club deliveries this week. My last delivery from my sotm club yarn from castleman and the first one in the Art Walk Sock Yarn club. I hoped one of them would come today but no luck. So, maybe I was buying myself some "consolation yarn". I thought I had more willpower than that. I guess not. Self knowledge is a frightful thing. I also felt jealous of the women there who had the time to come in on a Friday morning and sit and knit. I wondered if my supervisor would consider letting me work a 4 day week so I could sit and knit.....probably not. Today I took a personal day because there is a virus going around and I was feeling under the weather.
They had IK's fall issue in the store. I thought it was not due out until the 14th but I grabbed one in case someone had made a mistake and pulled them off the shelves. All in all, a fruitful trip.
My white lace sock continues to plague me but I am just slogging along. They look nice but are taking longer than I thought. Several times, I have thought I would give up and just try another pattern, but I am a stubborn woman. I WILL NOT let a pattern get the better of me. We have a busy weekend ahead with Kate's 18th (yay) birthday planned for a day at the lake with her friends but I will spend some quality time with the sock. The weather is supposed to be more of this unbearable heat and humidity so there's not much else we can do.
Good, peaceful weekend everyone.

PS Sorry about there being no breaks in the text. I have tried to put them in several times but blogger won't allow them. I think it's easier to read with some breaks.





11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice yarns! A treat you absolutely deserve. :-) Great to read that your daughter knits. I've tried teaching my stepdaughter to knit to no avail - why knit when you can buy things already made?
Have a great weekend knitting!

Sheepish Annie said...

Odd how we are influenced to buy yarn in all this heat...but it is what it is. Love the yarn in all types of weather!

Amy Lane said...

Personally, I think you're a model of self control... I finished an FO, and my last trip to the lys looked as though I finish four a week... (but it feels soooooooo good...)

Rose Red said...

I completely understand the need for consolation yarn!!

(I had that problem with blogger too yesterday!)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to thank you for your nice comment about my baby socks. I love the ones you are working on but think they are a little too challenging for me just yet. Can't wait to see them when you are done.

MadMad said...

I don't think you should be kicking yourself for your yarn purchases; it was all in the line of duty as a good mother! Very noble of you - in fact, your daughter should reimburse you for having put you in harm's way in the first place! Have a fun weekend - it sounds great!

Anonymous said...

Very nice yarn - and sometimes you just need to treat yourself, right?

Anonymous said...

Very nice yarn - and sometimes you just need to treat yourself, right?

Snoddy said...

P57 hoodia truth about hoodia p57 unique hoodia best hoodia. Uniquehoodia sitemap government nutrition shape up america. Trackback from tramadol online tramadol online.

Victor Mayo said...

Very nice yarn - and sometimes you just need to treat yourself, right?

Cheniertzby said...

Here are some tips for eating a healthy breakfast that will set you up for an energized and mentally alert day: Even if you don't have kids, you will not be able to see all of any particular museum in one day and get a true appreciation of what they have to offer. Morning at the Baobab Beach Resort When writing a food diary you need to be very thorough of your analysis of the food that you are eating. Nutrition Facts (Cereal Wreaths).

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...