Friday, September 7, 2007








I finished sock number one of the blue/white tofutsie mock cable socks. This is sock No.1, Partial Sock No.2 and potential sock. Bells is right. This is an easy sock and it looks great and it seems to go very quickly. This could become a favorite. It looks even better when it is stretched out on my foot. Then the "cables" really show. Number two is about a quarter of the way done. I want to finish them so I can wear them, of course, but also because I am anxiously waiting the Starry Night colorway from the Art Walk Sock Yarn Club. It should arrive any day and I want to play with it. I am not real good with more than one project at a time. I'm afraid I will succumb to the terrible scourge that is SSS.


As I was riding home today, I was working on my sock and a young woman sat next to me. She asked "Is that knitting?" I replied that it was. She was intrigued with the four needles so I explained that it's really easier than it looks. She is interested in crochet and wanted to know which was better. Here is where my better angel took over. I said "both are good. It all depends on your preference although I think knitting is more versatile". She was going to try to find some web sites to teach herself to knit and crochet. I allowed as to how it was ok to do both and she might enjoy both. She left with a smile.


And lastly, I showed off my finished sock at work to a friend who asked to see it. She gave me what I am sure she thought was the ultimate compliment. Can you guess? She said "It looks like it came from a store". But she kept touching it and rubbing it. I wondered, "when's the last time you fondled 'store bought' socks?".




9 comments:

Rose Red said...

Yay you for being a knitting (and crochet) evangelist! Hope you have made a convert.

Your sock looks great!

Mistrmi said...

How are you liking Tofutsies? I'm trying to decide whether to invest in any.

amy said...

It does look great! I WILL get back to that pattern, I WILL...!

Michele said...

good point. can't remember fondling store bought socks. yours looks great.

Sheepish Annie said...

I knew I'd hit the big time when my little Niece By Proxy petted my sock and, upon learning that I knit it myself said, "Wow! It looks, 'real!'" That gave me the giggles and does to this day. Yours are looking great! Nice work.

Olivia said...

Oh, the 'store bought' comment is so loaded! I guess it means it doesn't looks like the dodgey kind of hand made...

Tofutsies socks look great!

Although I have several things sort of on the needles, I generally only really focus on one project at a time, too. There are only so many hours in the day and I'm not that fast.

roxie said...

You are making Tofutsies look good!

Bells said...

so glad you're happy with it! And I think you're right- it's not the kind of pattern that's lost on being stretched when worn. It just looks good all the time.

Amy Lane said...

I got a book on knitting two socks at a time...I'm going to save it for a while, but I'm thinking that it could be a cure for the dreaded sss...

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...