Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I have been thinking a lot the last few days (yes, I think!). Mostly about the internet and blogging. I read a lot of blogs and enjoy most of them, otherwise I wouldn't go back and read them. If I have a thought or opinion, I comment. Supportive comments are the norm but often it's just to say I agree, or not, with what someone has said. If I read a very popular blog which has 100+ comments I most probably won't leave a comment because I figure they won't even read all the way down to the end and don't need one more comment agreeing with them. I like finding new blogs and reading about other people's ideas and thoughts. That is one of the most amazing things to me. That you can sit down with a computer and write whatever you want and send it out there. There is a power in that.

The thing I won't do is leave snarky or mean comments on people's blogs. If I read something and don't like what the person is saying I may comment and say what I think but not question their intelligence or their right to blog about whatever they want. It's called freedom of speech.

I don't generally stand on the soapbox but we have been having some discussions around my house this week. My children are very protective of me and tend to jump to my defense even if I don't need it. They are good kids.

Kate has ordered the yarn for our Strikkealong that Julie is running. We are making the Snowflake Socks from the fall issue of IK. Neither one of us has ever done any stranded color knitting and this is an adventure. Kate just got her first debit card and wanted to try it out so she ordered the yarn from Knitpicks. Her card works just fine. That could be a problem. I am concerned about the socks fitting. I know that stranded color knitting does not stretch well so I am going to make them on larger needles. I hope that helps. The pattern is too difficult looking for me to try to mess with stitch counts to increase them. Who doesn't love a challenge?

12 comments:

Julie said...

I've also found that stranded color is tighter, in terms of gauge, than regular stockinette, on the same needles, with the same yarn. (For instance, a yarn that knits at five stitches per inch in plain stockinette might be four and a half stitches per inch with stranded color.) The easiest way to deal with it is to just get a size larger needles.

Donna said...

Donna, I am so annoyed with that person's comment on you blog. That is one sad guy. I agrre that you should never be intentionally cruel. I can only imagine that he has nothing better to do in his life. The yarn is amazing and I am going to check out the designers page. I enjoy your blog all the time!

Dianne said...

Who is that guy, anyway? Oh well, his loss if he cannot see the beauty, the potential, the luscious-ness in that lovely yarn.

Bezzie said...

I'll admit to leaving what could be construed to others as snarky posts that are tongue in cheek if I've corresponded with a blogger outside of just blogging. Sometimes my internet jesting probably doesn't come across that way to everyone.

I love the idea of doing the stranded colorwork on larger needles--duh! Why didn't I think of that? I've always stayed away from socks like that because I knew there'd be no way I'd get them over my ankles!

Taphophile said...

The bloke's a troll. Delete him and go roll in your gorgeous yarn.

Anonymous said...

sorry you were the recipient of a nasty comment. i've been dreading one coming my way. they hurt, i think. and like you say are unnecessary.

TinkingBell said...

Great work on the the socks - they are gorgeous and I would be tempted if the queue of things I want to knit more weren't soooooo long - have fun!

Sheepish Annie said...

I've been pretty lucky with the comments...only one that was pretty nasty so far. I think that there are so many bloggers of the MySpace genre who don't quite get the manners used in other forums. Rather sad, really. And I'm sorry you got stuck with one of those. It can really hit hard. A person you don't even know saw fit to take time out of their day to be horrible...boo!

Meanwhile, there is knitting! And that is a nice thing that can soothe almost all bad stuff away. Good luck with all those strands!

Olivia said...

yep, troll. Don't feed 'em! Looks like one of those with a blog that exists to pick on other blogs - how postmodern...

I've been lucky enough not to attract any trolls. You should just take it as a sign that you have a lot of traffic!

MadMad said...

Commenting is an odd thing, isn't it? Mine get sent to my email, so I DO see them all, as they come in, without having to keep checking my blog. And I do love and read every one - but I agree, if someone has a ton, I'm less likely to write in... But obviously that guy is just trying to stir up some trouble, and get some readers. Blow him off!

MadMad said...

Commenting is an odd thing, isn't it? Mine get sent to my email, so I DO see them all, as they come in, without having to keep checking my blog. And I do love and read every one - but I agree, if someone has a ton, I'm less likely to write in... But obviously that guy is just trying to stir up some trouble, and get some readers. Blow him off!

Em said...

My feeling is that, basically, Ed's a dick. Sorry to use profanity on your blog, but the word just fits him so well. I realized that this comment was getting long enough for a blog of my own, so I'll just post it there. The bottom line is, karma's a bitch. Sorry, that's twice now. But really, you get back what you put out. And yeah, I am defensive of you. I'm probably just slightly biased, but I tend to believe you're a pretty great person. I hate to see great people get trashed for being themselves.

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...