Thursday, September 27, 2007



If you enjoy photos like this one taken from the Astronomy Picture of the Day (apod) website, you might have enjoyed our evening last night. Living close to a city of some size is a great thing if you like to attend cultural events such as the ballet or visit art museums. Cities tend to attract speakers who can hold you spellbound with their wit and wisdom. Not this time. Peter Kevin and I are both huge fans of apod and make a habit to visit the site every day to see all manner of interesting images of space and sometimes photos of earth that are often breathtaking in their beauty. So, when we heard that one of the men responsible for the web site was coming to a local astronomical society meeting to speak, we made plans to have dinner and attend. I have often said that I think good teachers are born, not made. I stand by that statement. The speaker was a teacher, a college professor with a Phd who knows his stuff. He is not, however, a public speaker. It was so disappointing. The vice president of the club gave a talk regarding what was visible in the night sky at this time of year and he didn't seem to know his stuff. It was just sad to hear him say, "Hmm, I think Mars should be over here...." and of course, no one could see it. This event was held at the Fels Planetarium which is part of the Franklin Institute, a local science and learning institution for years and years. Every kid in this area has been there at least once on a school trip. Somehow, I managed to miss the planetarium as a kid. As an adult, I was less than impressed. And my neck hurts from craning it to look up for 2 hours.

On a less whiney note, I did get to knit some while we sat on a bench outside waiting for the event to start. The evening was balmy, very warm and humid for September. It was lovely. I am almost finished Elanor's Kaibashira socks. I am working the toe decreases so it will get finished tonight. It was too bad I didn't have my book light so I could have knitted during the lecture....although, I think the rest of the audience might have minded just a little since it was a dark auditorium.

6 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

I get nervous when the astronomers don't know where stuff is up there. If they can't find various planets (which are large) after years of study, how the heck am I supposed to find things here on earth...like my glasses or my keys???

TinkingBell said...

Yep - bores are born and so are teachers!!! (I saw an ad in interweave knits for needles with lighted points.......)

Em said...

How disappointing that your evening was less than thrilling. And it's just ridiculous that the president couldn't find a planet. They're big. And one would think they're hard to misplace. Well, at least the website doesn't talk to you....

Bezzie said...

Phds aren't licensed teachers even at universities...that's what always blew my mind. All that money people pay to go to college and yeah any schmoe could teach!

MadMad said...

What a bummer to have such a lovely evening end up being a disappointment. And when you can't even knit on top of it? ARGH!

Mistrmi said...

Oh, yes, the "Why-won't-my-children-STOP-talking?!" plague: the noise is banging on all your senses, and guilt is banging everywhere else.

May our knitting calm us both this weekend. . .

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...