Sunday, September 30, 2007

This weekend started off with period shittiness but fortunately got better. I started a pair of monkey socks for myself with the Starry Night yarn. I love the colors and the monkey sock pattern works so well with colorful yarn. On Saturday, I finally got to go to a lys that I have been passing and passing but it is not in a convenient place. It's downtown Haddonfield, NJ where parking is at a premium. This is one of those towns that strives for old-timey perfection. They have a code that tells you what colors you can paint your house, etc. They once made a Viet Nam vet stop selling hot dogs from a cart downtown because it was unsightly. It is a historic area and terribly expensive. I like to walk down the streets but almost never shop there. I can't afford the snob tax. Well, Peter Kevin, Kate and I were on our way to a farm market on Saturday when he suggested that we stop at the yarn shop. I'll wait while you get back on your chairs. Yes, he said "why don't you check it out?". Kate and I (no fools here) jumped at the chance. It is a small shop, as big as my living room and had a terrific selection of expensive yarns. These were things I had never seen in person, koigu, debbie bliss, and some more unfamiliar names with high prices. I did buy some baby alpaca sock yarn that is so soft. It will make some really nice socks. but I don't think we will go back. They didn't have any medium priced yarns and no sale items. I would have to go without food and utilities to buy much of anything there. Kate wants to go back and treat herself to some koigu but has to wait until payday.

We had a lovely brunch with my Aunt Joan and my cousin's daughter. Kate was knitting and Alana was playing with her gameboy. She watched Kate for a few minutes and asked if Kate would teach her. So, we set her up with some yarn, needles, point protectors, small, foldable scissors and a small bag. She did three rows of a scarf and was so proud. Not bad for a 9 year old. Yay for spreading the gospel of the yarn arts! Next weekend we are going to try to go to a craft fair down at Batsto. Maybe we'll take Alana, too. Reinforce those craft urges.

Strikke along starts tomorrow!

4 comments:

amy said...

So much better than the gameboy! Keep spreading the good word. :-)

Rose Red said...

Yay for knitting evangelism! Yay for husbands suggesting stopping by a yarn store - hopefully he'll do it again when there's a sale on!

Em said...

Way to make a new convert, nice lady. If we keep reinforcing the joys of knitting, maybe it'll stick. Inviting Aunt Joan and Alanna was a great idea, and brunch was so pleasant.

Yay for socks for you! You seem to be having much more luck with them than I am.

Amy Lane said...

Glad to see you and em on the strikke-along:-) And it sounds like a really wonderful weekend--I'm glad. When the weather gets like this, it seems criminal not to just soak it in until winter...

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...