Wednesday, October 15, 2008



If you've never visited this site, you're in for a laugh. It is funny and never fails to make me smile.

Today it's standing in for me as I struggle to stay awake. I went to the endodontist and he took an x-ray and said he wouldn't touch the tooth until I had been on an antibiotic for a few days. So, he prescribed clindamycin (which makes me very drowsy) and rescheduled the procedure for Friday morning at 8 am. I started the medicine (thus the drowsiness) and will take Friday off from work and have the procedure. It means getting my courage up to return to the office a second time. They are all nice folks in there but they have sharp, pointy instruments and they want to work inside my mouth.

I am given 11 sick days each year but pay a penalty at evaluation time for using them so I dragged my sorry self into work today. I think I am getting a cold and along with the medicine, I feel like something the cat dragged in. I'm going to finish up and leave early and go home and sleep. I am such a cotton head today.

Even though one of my girls likes the Opal sock, I am frogging it today. I think I might like it if it were done on smaller needles. The pattern calls for 2.75's and I think they are too large for the thin yarn. I'm going to give it a try on smaller needles and if that doesn't work, we'll let the yarn marinate for a while. I ordered some silk/alpace laceweight yarn yesterday to make a shawl to participate in the southern hemisphere's lacey summer sort of knit along. It's all very loose and has no deadlines so I'm in. I ordered a color called "spice" so we'll see. It looks like it's browns and reds and manogany.

Have a good Wednesday. Someone around here is cooking bacon and it's killing me it smells so good! Bacon is something I indulge in only infrequently and just the smell makes me hungry.

13 comments:

amy said...

Okay, that's ridiculous that you get sick days but pay a penalty if you actually use them. So they value face time more than quality? Or they actually want sick employees at work? ARGH! This reminds me of my one-year evaluation at the last non-profit at which I worked. The rating scale was 1-5, with 1-5% pay increases. My boss told me that even though I'd met all goals--which I hadn't set, having inherited them--which was amazing, given the ambitiousness of said goals, "nobody ever gets 5%, because that would mean you're perfect." So why even have it on the stupid evaluation form? I found it so insulting to hear that I'd done everything fabulously but still wasn't worth the highest rating, which, let's face it, 5% of a dust salary is still dust. I resigned a couple of weeks later. That place was poisonous to my soul.

Em said...

Oh, nice lady, I hope you feel better soon. I know how much you dislike taking the drugs that make you sleepy. At least you've only got a couple of days to take the antibiotics for, and by the weekend, you'll be done. I have always thought that if you are cooking something particularly delicious, like say, bacon, it's only fair to share it with the neighbors who have to smell it cooking.

DPUTiger said...

1. Mmmm ... Bacon!
2. I think most sock patterns are written for too loose of a gauge.
3. That's lame that you are penalized for using your sick days. You should come in dripping with germs on a day you feel really awful and spread it around.
4. Just think of how much better you're going to feel when your tooth is totally fixed! :)

Alwen said...

One of the places I last work had a secret sick day policy. After you had worked there a certain amount of time, you got a certain amount of paid sick time. Which they would not tell you!

It sounds like I'm kidding or making that up, but that's really how it was. Basically, you could take sick time off, but after you had used up the hours they wouldn't tell you, it was unpaid time off.

I still think that was so weird! "Neener, neener, we have a secret" should not be an official HR policy.

Galad said...

I too think it is weird to penalize someone for taking the time they need to get well. Hoping that by the weekend this is all behind you.

Dianne said...

Wait...you seriously get penalized for taking your own sick days? How crazy is that? I hope you're feeling 1000% better after you get the tooth taken care of on Friday.

Also - I always use size 0 (cast on 80 stitches) when knitting with Opal.

Bells said...

Holy crap. Crap policy! I'm so glad I get 20 days a year and I use them (within reason) at my own discretion. If I want to use one as a mental health day, I can.

Although a guy just gone done here for abusing the system and faking having lung cancer. he got caught out BIG time.

So glad you're playing in my half-arsed knit along! Can't wait to see what you knit.

Oh and I agree about the loose gauge - tight gauge for socks is so much better.

Bezzie said...

I dunno, 11 sick days is nearly twice what we get. We only get 6 and then it's LWOP city!

Sheepish Annie said...

Oh, you poor thing! I hope this all gets better soon. Just the mention of that antibiotic starts me feeling all sick. I'm so glad the new protocols don't include that for those of us with heart murmurs anymore. Blah!

Rest up and get better soon!

(I have now rescheduled my dentist appointment for the third time....don't wanna goooooooo)

Anonymous said...

How unfair that you are penalized for using sick days! I hope you start feeling better soon - and I love the lolcat site too...

Amy Lane said...

You know, everybody should get a couple of 'cat-yak' days at work--where they feel like cat-yak, so they get to sleep in the staff room and everybody can give them props for trying. Hell--even my students let me sleep on MOnday!

TinkingBell said...

Mmm Bacon - we had a jewish friends at uni who used to turn up at our place ona saturday morning with a pound of bacon and we'd all sit on the back steps and eat bacon sandwiches! She was too scare to cook it at her own place in case her mum (a much more active Jewish lady who disapproved of her daughters lapsed status) found out she was eating bacon! Same girl adored prawns - and scallops!

Rose Red said...

Nasty tooth - hope Friday's visit is not too bad.

Stupid sick leave policy. I hope next time you go in work with a nasty flu-ey virus that you give to everyone, including the person responsible for said policy.

Ending on a positive note - mmmm bacon!

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...