Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A nice thing happened today. I got a phone message from the woman who makes the appointments in my dentist's office. She wanted to know how Em is doing. I like my dentist and I like her receptionist. We talk about knitting while I wait for my appointment. We talk about our families and how they are doing. She told me that her mother in law is praying for Em and lighting candles. This lovely woman who doesn't know my daughter is saying prayers and lighting candles.

At first this felt a little strange. And then I decided that I'd take all the good wishes I can get, all the positive energy I can muster. There is no such thing as too many good wishes. My office mate gets a little peeved when someone says "have a blessed day". I figure, I'll take the good wishes in the spirit in which they were intended. Someone is wishing blessings on me. Who am I to turn down blessings? Even if I don't believe in their deity. I appreciate the thought.

And I appreciate all the good thoughts, positive wishes and prayers that are being said on Em's behalf. It makes my heart feel good to know that she is surrounded by positive energy. It gives me hope that whatever we learn this week, it'll all be fine in the end.

A sad thing happened today. Another lys announced it's closing. This is the second one in 6 months. I ignored the first email about the sale because with all the electronics that need to be replaced in my house, the yarn budget is nil. I deleted the email. Today I read the new email and realized that they are closing. This leaves one store in Haddonfield where they are snobby and one store about 25 miles away in Mt. Holly where they are terrific but you can't just run out and get something on a whim. There is a Michael's and and AC Moore but their selection of yarn is lacking something. Like, wool. Pk said "the hobby has reached it's peak" but I don't think so. I think that it's the economic climate and the easy availability of yarn online. I am guilty of buying yarn online but I also shopped at the local stores. I LIKE being able to touch the yarn before I buy. Sigh.

I am taking some people from the Social Rehab group to the Constitution Center tomorrow. We are going to see the America I Am exhibit. I am really looking forward to this. One of the best parts of working in Philadelphia is the availability of museums and exhibits. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some photos.

I'm off to make a salad to go with the burgers Pk is getting ready to grill. I love this time of year!

11 comments:

Bells said...

That is so kind. The kindness of people who are in no way attached to us or our difficulties is so humbling, isn't it? It always reminds me to try and give a little back.

You are right. We do need to support our LYSs don't we? I just wish I liked our local stores better. And I'm lazy. It's easier to buy online what I know I already like than to go out on a weekend and buy it. And I can often get it cheaper on line. Hmm....

amy said...

I feel the same way about people's prayers. I am not one of those folks who pray in times of need, because I feel like that's cheating, kind of, because I don't pray normally. However, I very much appreciate prayers on my behalf from those who have faith in them. I have faith in the prayers of the faithful, if that makes any sense. When I rushed to the hospital six weeks early with Nicholas, my aunt prayed the Rosary on my behalf. I think the Rosary said by an old, very Catholic Italian woman carries quite a lot of weight.

Rose Red said...

I agree on the blessings/prayers thing too - I don't do it, as I'm not religious, but I don't discount prayers said by those who are - all good positive thoughts must help, mustn't they.

I'm sorry your LYS is closing - I think it is the economy talking there, not that people have stopped knitting. The internet has really changed things for our craft hasn't it.

Jeanne said...

That is really nice - isn't it amazing when people go out of their way to be nice (and isn't it sad that I think its amazing?)

Sorry to hear about your yarn store closing - seems to be happening more and more lately...

Galad said...

I also feel that the good intentions and prayers of people, no matter what their belief, do help.

I think it is going to continue to be difficult for the LYS with the easy availability online. It is sad to see community stores close though.

Bezzie said...

Yup. A couple of YSs nearby here have both bit the dust this week. So sad.

Alien babies may be evil, but they sure do bring out the humanity in people huh?

roxie said...

Have fun on the field trip.

How sweet of your friend to call with such kind news. How loving and encouraging.

Maybe the snooty store will learn to make freinds with the influx of new customers now that the economy is cutting down the competition.

Amy Lane said...

I know--sometimes online is so HARD to resist... but I'm lucky-- my lys proprietor is suck a cool person, she's more like a, uhm, sock-yarn pushing friend than a business woman;-0

Alwen said...

I have one LYS that just opened last summer. What a time to open, huh? So I take my hard-earned dollars there, hoping she can weather this.

I really don't like to buy yarn online, because I like to feel it and really see it. So often colors on the monitor are off from what I see in real life.

Dianne said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are not offended - my mom has added Em to her church's prayer list. I've known people who get really pissy about that kind of thing---I should have known you would accept all good wishes graciously!

MadMad said...

"...but the yarns are missing something. Like wool." Killed me. Too funny. And so true. I was in a Michael's with my son the other day, saying the exact thing. "I want something more .. natural," I told him.

"So.... not this, then," he said, grabbing a ball of PURPLE fun fur and putting it on his head.

Ah, he kills me sometimes.

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...