Thursday, October 8, 2009

I didn't go to the yarn store yesterday because when I looked into my wallet, I decided I'd hold onto what money I had left until we get paid on Friday.  This is not the first nor the second time this lys owner has sent out this particular email announcing another sale.  She has been officially closed for a long time and is trying to get rid of leftover inventory.  The percentages are getting higher but the stock is not so appealing.  Kate and Patrick went and bought two skeins of chunky alpaca that I think are destined to become mittens. 

The real draw of the trip is that the yarn store is down the block from The Best Bakery In the Known Universe.  The one where they sell the creme donuts to die for.  Kate (who is currently my favorite child) bought me two of those donuts and a cupcake shaped like a ghost.  The donuts were consumed at breakfast this morning (I shared with Pk) and truly enjoyed.

I plied two bobbins of alpaca and spun two more bobbins of singles to be plied later in the week.  I washed and balled up the skein.  I now have two balls of yarn at approx 150 g each.  I had to stop at that point because my ankle was humming.  The ankle I treadle with is the one I dislocated a few years ago and it protests the constant movement that is treadling. I wish I had just broken it.  The orthopedist agreed with this telling me that bone breaks heal up stronger but soft tissue injuries never go completely away.


It's a definite Fall morning here, crisp and clear and really quite lovely.  However, my mind is here.  Some place with white sands and sunshine and a cabana boy to bring me a drink with an umbrella in it.  And my toes are digging into warm, soft sand.  There is a light breeze and some steel drums in the distance.  Sigh.  What a fantasy.

The reality is that I am back at my desk getting ready to pick up the messages from my day off and get to work. 

Happy Thursday.

8 comments:

roxie said...

A cupcake shaped like a ghost? Trying to envision this. She could have brought you an empty box and told you it was a dozen ghost cupcakes. You can't actually see or touch ghosts, you know.

As you lounge in the shade with your boat drink, wave to me. I'm the white whale-like creature in the blue swimsuit, bobbing happily in the ocean. (All this extra fat makes me uber-bouyant. I float like a cork!)

LemonyRenee' said...

Ahhhh, one margarita, please . . . extra salt!

Thanks, I needed that!

Bezzie said...

Oh boy, I hope my boys bring me cupcakes and donuts someday!!!

Kate said...

Roxie, the cupcake was turned upside down and then frosted top-to-bottom and decorated with a face. It was decorated to look like a ghost, not actually shaped that way.

Woohoo! Won the Favorite Child of the Moment award!

Rose Red said...

Oh no, now I want donuts. And I'm afraid I'm many thousands of miles from the best donut shop in the world!

Amy Lane said...

Awww... yup, that kid who picks up the donuts does manage to rank 1st! It's so hard to turn down yarn bargains! Good for you, having that willpower!

Bells said...

The favourite child line cracked me up!

Jeanne said...

Yum - donuts! I haven't had one in a while, but reading about yours made me want to have some!

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...