Friday, October 9, 2009

I went to a training this morning on co-occuring disorders (mental illness and addiction).  It started at 8:30 and ended at 12:45.  The presenter was an excellent public speaker and seemed to really know his stuff.  However, looking at him while he spoke provided my brain with a huge disconnect.  Dr. Mee-Lee is of Chinese ancestry but he's an Aussi (who now lives in California).  Watching him speak in his inimitable Aussi accent was weird. 

I got on the bus to ride the 25 or so blocks back to the center and it was excruciating.  I was sitting there watching the people out the window.  I noticed a man in a lovely tangerine colored suit walk by.  Several blocks later, I said to the woman next to me, "didn't we pass that man already?  There can't be two men dressed like that out on the street today!"  She laughed and said "It's not you, we passed him once before".  The kicker was when a man in a motorized wheel chair passed us.  I got off the bus and walked the last 8 blocks or so.  It's a nice day and it felt good to just walk.

Otherwise, things here are quiet.  Pk and I are going grocery shopping after work because tomorrow is our anniversary.  And while we're not doing anything special (next weekend is our train ride), I didn't want to spend the day grocery shopping.  I think I'll go to the seafood store and get some goodies and we'll have a seafood feast for dinner tomorrow. Maybe we'll see a movie but it'll be a low key kind of day.

Happy Friday!

5 comments:

amy said...

Yeah, when the motorized wheel chairs are passing you, it's time to cut your losses, isn't it?!

Happy Weekend! It's my second one-parent weekend in a row, but I'm feeling more capable this trip. No PMS. That helps.

Bells said...

i can imagine that would have been a bit of a weird experience - except here he's one of many, many Chinese Australians so we're very used to it!

Bezzie said...

Hee hee...reminds me of that opening scene in office space where he's being passed in his car in traffic by an old guy with a walker!

MadMad said...

Happy anniversary!

Alwen said...

Yeah, when the walkers are passing you, it's time to just walk.

I am ready for some nice weather - it has been rain rain rain raining here!

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...