Friday, June 1, 2007


Well, we got Kate off to the prom and looking beautiful. No makeup as I expected but somehow the look suits her. She is funny and smart and lovely and totally unfussy about herself. I try to help her see how lovely she is but I am, after all, her mother and my opinion does not count. I am in awe of her talents as an artist. I can see things but they get lost between my brain and my hands but Kate makes the images in her head appear magically on the paper. I know she gets that talent from her dad.

Let me tell you a little about her dad, my husband of 25 years. I have never met anyone as totally interested in the world around him as my husband. His curiosity is boundless and he will search for answers to questions and follow trails of information into strange and wonderful places. He is handsome and strong and gentle and loving. He likes computers, he really likes them. He makes me feel beautiful and loved and wanted even after 25 years of ups and downs. He is funny and makes me laugh every day. I am so lucky. I am married to my best friend.

My oldest daughter, El is one of the smartest people I know. She is quiet and keeps to herself. El doesn't like crowds and prefers small groups. She can be wickedly funny and has a unique way of looking at the world. She is tall and blonde and doesn't seem to realize how pretty she is.

And then there is Em, the middle child who doesn't act like a middle child. She has more self confidence and hutzpah than any 12 other people. She is smart and funny and hardworking. She likes to laugh and will do so frequently. Em is also beautiful but will deny it if you tell her.

Do I sound like a broken record? I think I am the luckiest person to have the opportunity to live with such terrific people.

No knitting yet today. As it after 9 I better get to work on the infamous waving lace socks. I am plugging away on them and they are lovely.

Have a good weekend.


1 comment:

Michele said...

this is such a beautiful dress. very romantic. reminds me of the period movies like Pride and Prejudice and Marie Antoinette. your daughter looks stunning, makeup or not.

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...