Thursday, October 15, 2009

It's Thursday morning and dark enough for the streetlights to still be on.  There is a storm system coming through which will dump rain on us for the next 4 days so it'll be a wet train trip on Saturday.  Well, on Sat there's only a 70% chance of showers so there's a chance, however small, that we'll have a cloudy but drier trip.  It's ok either way.  We'll bring books and knitting and music and snacks.  8 hours of forced relaxation.  Pretty tough to bear, I know.

I used to get Bon Appetit magazine years ago.  I loved the recipes and some of them have become family favorites (chicken of the good woman came from there).  Then the editor died and I didn't like the woman who took over so I let my subscription lapse.  For some reason, (I think I got a free subscription when I bought something else) I started getting the magazine again a short while ago.  It's ok.  Not great but ok.  The recipes are still good and since I like to try new things, I read it every month.

I tried a chocolate chocolate chip cookie from an advertisement for Ghiradelli chocolate.  Pk loved them and took most of them to work today to share with coworkers.  Patrick took some  home with him last night, too.  I think they're meh.  I like my plain chocolate chips better but I thought I'd share the recipe because it's full of chocolate and sometimes you really need that.

Ghiradelli Ultimate Double Chocolate Cookies

(In full disclosure, I did not use ghiradelli chocolate.  I used a very dark (80% cocoa) chocolate and regular chocolate chips.  I also added a tsp of vanilla and a tsp of salt to the dough)

1 bag 11.5 oz Ghiradelli bittersweet 60% cacao chips
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (I used regular butter)
3 eggs
1 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of flour (no that is not a typo)
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1 bag 12 oz ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup (4oz) chopped walnuts

Melt dark chocolate and butter together in microwave until smooth. 
In large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick
Stir in chocolate mixture
Stir in flour and baking powder
Mix in chocolate chips and walnuts

Using a sheep of plastic wrap, form dough into two long logs about 2 inches in diameter.  (The dough is very soft and this is a little messy.  I used the plastic wrap to make the logs evenly rounded).  Wrap tightly and freeze for about an hour or until firm enough to cut into rounds. 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cut dough into 3/4 inch slices. Place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper (I used waxed paper but this tends to smoke when put in the oven).  Bake 12-14 minutes.  Let cool for a few minutes before removing from paper.


These are intensely chocolate and are good with a cold glass of milk!


Now that I've made you all hungry, have a good Thursday! 

cookie photos from Ghiradelli.

10 comments:

Alwen said...

"Okay but not great" is a standard description around here. As in, some places have great pizza, other places the pizza is okay, but not great.

roxie said...

"Adequate" is a word we use. "Fit to eat." falls into the same category. Bon Appetite always seemed to be so full of itself.

Bezzie said...

There's always a place for chocolate chocolate!

I'm kind of excited for the wet stormy weekend. Great to just hang out at the house...

Jeanne said...

I like Bon Appetit - we've always had good luck with the recipes. The cookies look so good - I'll have to give them a try!

Rose Red said...

Oh, now I want choc chip biscuits! Might have to make a batch (but I'll use my fave recipe, I can nearly do them with my eyes shut!)

Galad said...

That's probably my whole Weight Watchers points for the day in one cookie. Guess I'll have to wait to make them.

Louiz said...

mmm, they look tasty:)

Bells said...

how interesting that they have so little flour - I don't get why that would be at all, but they sound delicious!

DPUTiger said...

Using a SHEEP of plastic wrap ... heh ... I'll have to try these! Love double chocolate cookies!

Fran said...

Awesome recipe! Thanks.

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...